FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CuSat 50 or Libran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 9:51pm
R3 connects the inverting output of the Majestic to the inverting input of the Proprius (absolute phase being retained). Inverting stages have no common-mode distortion and should sound clearer.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 11:00pm
I'm afraid you lost me there, Graham. On my current shelving system I might actually need 1.5 metres. Eventually when I get a new rack, which I can't do until I've got all the small boxes, I'll need shorter ones; maybe 0.6m. So, to keep things simple please just let me know what I should order as a temporary solution.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:15am
Well, I'm bound to say an R3 wired 1.5m Lautus (because that's what I use) and find a way of hiding it when you get the new rack.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:29am
Is R3 wired Lautus the same as standard Lautus or something different?
Ifor
=====
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:45am
A standard Lautus is single-ended and connected non-inverting output to non-inverting input, I assume, whereas the R3 uses the other phase instead so takes the signal from inverted to inverted. The R3 therefore can only be used with balanced outputs/inputs, despite itself being a single-ended cable.

Edited by Ash - 29 Sep 2017 at 4:42pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

The R3 therefore can only be used with balanced outputs/inputs.
But earlier, Jon referred to "unbalanced R3 cable".
Ifor
=====
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 9:40am
The R3 is unbalanced cable (CuSat50/Lautus type) connected to the appropriate pins of balanced connectors.

Source end is the TRS jack plug which plugs into the balanced output of the Majestic.

Output end is the male XLR which plugs into the balanced input of the Proprius.

I repeat, the wiring is not balanced. It doesn't need to be over such a short run. It just needs the signal (the core of the coax cable) and the return (the shield or screen of the coax cable).

The R3 - more a concept than a product (it isn't catalogued) - connects the '-ve phase' output to the '-ve phase' input, and in doing so 'travels' by two virtual-earth stages which don't do the common mode distortion that absolute phase stages do (which is really small anyway). It also cuts out one of the two op-amp stages in the Proprius input.

The equipment still works properly and there is no volume loss. If anything the conventional unbalanced connection should be slightly less noisy than an R3, but good luck in hearing the difference. The R3 is 'faster' but to explain that would need a lengthy reply.

The R3 'name' refers to how it is connected to the connector terminals: the core connects the TRS jack plug Ring terminal to the XLR connector's pin 3; the shield conventionally connects the jack plug sleeve to pin 1 of the XLR; and pin 2 is shorted to pin 1 to mute the Proprius '+ve phase' input.

To obtain an R3 you need to phone John and request the cable type (CuSat50 or Lautus), and the length, and also restate you want it R3 (John then usually phones me to remind him how it's wired...Wink).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic