FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CuSat 50 or Libran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 8:35pm
The Proprius are tremendously capable. You can drive high impedance headphones from them also. They effortlessly drove two AKG K1000 headphones back when I tried it.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Gijo1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gijo1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 2:46am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

The Proprius are tremendously capable. You can drive high impedance headphones from them also. They effortlessly drove two AKG K1000 headphones back when I tried it.

Ash, I am pretty interested to get an understanding on how to wire up the proprii to deal with Headphones. I am currently in the process of working out how to fund a change from my integrated to separates that include these little beauties, and if I can orchestrate it such that they can run the HD650 directly with good sound, I can quit worrying about the inclusion of a Solo for HeadFi duties.

Or is it possible to have a set of proprii customised to include a connector for use in connecting head phones?

Cheers for the update, and I am happy to craft a whole new topic if it is warranted?

Dan
Now: Accession M, CuSAT50, Spatia Cables + links
Later: Proprius
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 2:54am
Make that two interested parties.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 8:37am
My only concern would be noise (hiss). The Proprius are designed for speakers where it's sufficiently low, but wired to headphones it was noticeable to me.

Wiring is easy. The two black terminals go to the sleeve terminal of a stereo jack, and the red terminals go to the tip and ring. Right to tip, Left to ring.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:57am
Thanks, Graham,
   I don’t possess the skills, but my father in law certainly does. If hiss is a problem, is it as simple as wiring resistors in the path as well?
Please pardon my ignorance if I’m way off the mark.
All the best,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:49am
You can use series resistors like they do in an integrated that has a headphone jack. IEC 61938 specifies 120 Ohms. These can be half watt. The type of noise from the Proprius doesn't change with its volume control setting, so it really needs attenuation to get a good S/N. 120 Ohms will be OK with low impedance headphones but won't give sufficient attenuation with high impedance headphones (e.g. 300 Ohms).

The headphone jack "harness" can be left in parallel with the speakers, and to "switch" to headphones only would mean pulling a plug from each of the speakers.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 5:06pm
I have personally driven a Sennheiser HD540II, HD560II, HD800 and one or a pair of AKG K1000 from the Proprius monoblocks. You have to be sensible in the way you go about it though; start with all the gain dials in the system right down as far anti-clockwise as they go. I then place my Proprius dials at 9 o'clock to begin. There are two obvious things to consider in the output to be driven: impedance (frequency dependent resistance) and sensitivity (efficiency). If the impedance of the output device is too low, there will be audible noise/hiss, even at lower dial positions. The higher the sensitivity, the lower the Proprius dials will have to be to reduce hiss to an inaudible level. All these Sennheisers are 300 Ohm impedance, which is quite high. Sennheisers such as HD250II, HD600 and HD650 will work just as well as they are also 300 Ohm impedance. There is a bit of variation in sensitivity however so dial positions will be a bit different for some of the models. I drove the Sennheisers with a common ground (black Proprius terminals connected together) whilst the K1000 headphones each had 4-pin XLR so separate ground wires (one to each Proprius). At suitable dial positions, the sound quality attainable was just as great as from the Solo Ultra Linear, to my ears. I never use the Proprius with their volume dials turned completely clockwise ("out of circuit") as I hear some background hiss with pretty much all of the output loads I've tried.

Oh, and this is one time when I listened to compare Solo UL against Proprius.

Edited by Ash - 09 Jan 2018 at 10:54pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic