FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Reflex M shows my system up!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bonehead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflex M shows my system up!
    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 8:52pm
Well, having been given the opportunity of trying out a Reflex M via the loan scheme (thanks Jon!), I find myself in a quandary....

The unit arrived and was given a little warm-up time while I reacquainted myself with a variety of LPs via my existing system - Rega Planar 6 with 2M Bronze into Rega Brio-R phono/amp and out of a pair of Acoustic Energy 301s (wall bracket mount).

Initial listening was very good with an enlarged soundstage and a lot more 'space' around along with more realism to the instruments. I was able to weed-out some dodgy recordings with ease particularly the B side of a Holst Planets Suite which was strangely lacking on the right channel and the entire recording of Living Color - Times Up which had a soundstage of about 1 foot!! Being especially critical, I found everything a bit 'bright' which wasn't what I had expected. I think this unit shows up some problems with my system which I need to try and work out, whether that be speaker or amp upgrade.

I was wondering if the Era Gold would show less spirit and be more manageable? Otherwise I'll have to go down the long path of speaker demoing  but I am limited to standmount speakers that fit on wall brackets as I have a suspended floor with laminate flooring on top that slopes and I dont have the space to fit stands away from the wall.

Perhaps I should just use headphones........

The Reflex M was a lovely piece of kit that I would happily listen to again and again just for the amount of detail that I could now here in music I thought I knew well.

Any thoughts or feedback greatly appreciated

Ian 
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 9:06pm
From my experiences I wouldn't call the reflex bright though found the era gold maybe a bit fuller in the bass which may suit your set up better?
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 9:27pm
Nowt wrong with your equipment. How long has the Reflex been powered up?

Laminated floors won't help, got a rug?
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 10:07pm
The AE301's are small but good standmount speakers designed to work close to the back wall. Having made this mistake myself more than once I suggest visually checking the speakers and cables are wired in phase red to red etc.

Decent amp, turntable, cartridge as Ernie says so pause before replacing any of it.

That was my experience with a Reflex M, really hearing the records and things that weren't quite right like dirt, inner groove distortion, etc. It made me look again at the turntable setup to make sure the lateral alignment was right, the cartridge level with the record, etc. If you have a CD player or streamer/DAC does it sound notably bassier than the turntable? If so check the cartridge is wired in phase with the WBRG wires in the right places on the cart and the arm connectors, if there is a mono button the amp switch on and you'll lose the lead vocals in out of phase wiring. If not any problem is further on.

You've mentioned headphones so I am hoping they sound normal (balanced bass and treble but with the extra detail from your records) to you with the Bronze/RP6/ Reflex/Brio feeding them instead of the 301's. If so I would look at the speaker cables, are they silver plated which can sound trebly although detailed? Try plain copper - PM if you would like to borrow a pair of Spatia speaker cables for comparison purposes. I would also consider the height of the speakers unless they are already at ear level and against the wall.

Another suggestion is to change where you sit even it's temporarily sitting on a kitchen chair. Try to avoid being dead in the middle of the room, although I appreciate the room may force you be sitting on the centreline between left and right speakers. In that case try moving back and forth during the music to see if there is a change in bass levels. That would be down to room modes and may suggest another place to sit where you like the sound.

Last tip is give it a few listening sessions to adjust to the new setup.

Sorry I've listed almost every possible change and not narrowed things down but it's cheaper to explore ideas than buy new gear. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 27 Sep 2017 at 10:30pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
bonehead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 10:18pm
Well, revisited everything and starting at the TT end, set the Bronze up using a Stevenson Arc from VE. Tracking weight was set at 1.5g and things had improved slightly. Had a bunch of stuff from the loan program (Thanks Jon & Graham) and progressed through speaker cables, EGV and then Proprius amps direct from EGV and CD. Cables made slight improvement with bass slightly tighter. EGV added better positioning, space and imaging over the Brio-R and then the Proprius monos really made it all come together - it's surprising how these tiny amps improve the sound.

After a weeks listening it was easier to hear things get worse as the system was reverted piece by piece back to standard. Things are now woolier and imaging is off. It's difficult to decide which phono pre to work towards, I think it could now support the Reflex M better along with the Spatia speaker leads with the ultimate goal being the Proprius amps. 

Now I just have to open the discussion with the account manager, see what she thinks......

Thanks for the help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic