FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Understanding Record Repro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

This is very helpful and clear on the pitfalls of MC stages, as well as showing the expertise that makes the GSP/HFC ones sound so good! How dependent is the peak on the cartridge's characteristics and does increasing the load capacitor to say 100pF change the graph much please?

Adding capacitance brings the peak lower in frequency. Reducing the resistance damps the peak.

The two plots show with 100pf the resonant frequency is 2MHz, and with 2 x 100pf it is 1.6MHz. You won't get halving because the LC equation uses a square root.

By reducing the resistance the peak is damped which reduces its selectivity (a radio term).

Further increases in capacitance reduce the resonant frequency, and interestingly reduce the sharpness of the resonant frequency, but to smooth out the peak the resistance still has to be reduced.

You will note the output with 4n7 (4700pf) is linear below 100kHz with all values of resistance shown. This is getting on for 8 times the audible range in adults. However, there are many who swear they hear a tonal difference. There should be little phase difference and without working it out I guess it will be around 10 degrees.

You will also notice a difference in output level between 500 Ohms and 100 Ohms, and switching between these will give around 2-3dB difference in amplitude. People often say on switching from 100 Ohms to 500 Ohms that it sounds better, but it is only because the volume has increased.

Because the volume has increased there will be a tonal difference but not from the cartridge or amplifier. It is because of the way our ears work. See Fletcher–Munson curves.

What we really need is to switch the gain at the same time as we switch the resistance and then do AB-blind testing to find if there is any perceived difference.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 5:36pm
My apologies for reading the post quickly to register 4p7 rather than 4n7. 100pF of loading would barely cover the tonearm cabling!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 5:39pm
This is a very interesting discussion - thanks for the eye (rather ear) opening details. A basic questionthat caught my mind with this discussion:

1. For shielding the MC cartridge - my P******t Xtension setup does not have a headshell, how would the wiring update work? currently my cables inside my 'carbon' tonearm terminates into a 5pin DIN. 

As for the MC versus MM, I am still in my nascent stages of audio listening. I am heavily invested in MC cartridges - owning 5 of them - from Palo Santos Presentation, Miyajima ones and Orofon Cadenza. My Graham Slee products include the Revealation C and Accession. So far I have only been able to get better sound from these as I improved and adjusted my setup. 

And thus I am certainly curious about the MM stage - would be looking for the Clearaudio Charisma...why waste the Accession's potential with anything less. 

In my experience, I think I have gained the best clarity I can imagine with my vinyls from the 60s, 70s and 80s - mostly mono recordings. As most on this forum, I have found startling detail with my MC carts.

And with my Accession running for almost a year now...the results are pristine. Even the stereo carts produce noiseless playback from the mono recordings. The Accession is the perfect defender, eliminating all surface noise and artifacts I have always experienced. I need to enshrine the Accession and pray for its health each and every day. It is that good.

That being said, I will be keen in acquiring any Accession MC pre-amp produced - just out of curiosity of what else is out there. I still have fond memories of the Revelation C to know what an MC pre-amp is capable of. 

So now I have a few things to look forward to:
1. Adjust my MC cart for better shielding
2. Research and try an MM cart
3. Try to get my hands on an Accession MC

Cheers
Shashi
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 10:04pm
Inspired by Graham's posts above I couldn't resist the urge and added 4n7 of loading (Evox PFR, luckily had some in my spares box) to my EXP inputs. The resulting combo sounds very good now playing an old Classics for Pleasure LP, Menuhin Festival Orchestra playing Handel Coronation Anthems. The EXP will get even better as it settles down under power over the next few days.

My Phoenix is the 7 ohms version which I run into 100 ohms but I don't know the inductance. Any thoughts on what my response curve might look like?

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 5:55am
The Goldring Eroica LX has a similar specification and is modelled below into 100 Ohms and a 4,700pf capacitor complete with an approximation of coil interwinding capacitance.

By the way, the left hand scale is relative - I did not set the model to give the exact output which won't be +50dB at 1kHz as it shows - more like -64db, but it illustrates the rate of change.

I also need to state that there is no audio in the 20kHz plus region of this plot (because some idiots on another forum will think I'm saying that). Well, there will be harmonics whose outputs are decaying in level stretching some octave(s) up until the record output or stylus movement gives up the ghost.

The rest of the curve is simply stimulus - what the wiring picks up and is "allowed" to span to, because of the cartridge inductance (no matter how small - think radio inductors).

As the slope comes down in previous examples you'd think any higher frequencies would be severely attenuated so as not to interfere, but parasitics will always exist and each winding connects directly to the next by capacitive coupling, and here I have modelled it using the value stated for a metal film resistor (0.35pf) simply because there is no data for the actual cartridge - or any of the cartridges - let's face it, they're made for audio frequencies so no need... The same up-flick applies to all pevious models and you'll just have to imagine they're there (I'm not re-doing them).

And so we can refer back to the scope images and now realise why we could see interference up in this capacitive region, because there wasn't any short to prevent it. By properly shielding the arm tube (something the manufacturers seem ignorant of) the interference was reduced, and that kinda proves the lot, don't it?

Extract the integrator function out of the 'RIAA' phono stage EQ by making your mind take out the kinks in there for the response from the actual record, and you can see it takes the up-slope shown above and lifts the lower end so as to make the up-slope level.

When it meets the resonant peak at around 800kHz (in the above plot that is) it then follows the plot...

OK I'll do it for you. Take a look here:

See?

Edited by Graham Slee - 26 Sep 2017 at 5:57am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 6:16am
You might also note that the signal is 80dB higher than the 100MHz - 1GHz representation in the above model, but that the interference was recorded on the scope as being 30dB above. Add 80dB to 30dB and you get interference which is a whopping 110dB above the signal - a massive negative signal to noise ratio - should be called a noise to signal ratio where the wanted signal is secondary to what is happening.

How do you think the phono amp input deals with this? Well, it can't. It clips, not that you'd know it because you can't hear it, but where else is it going to go?

So the stage is being tossed around and remember, today's op-amps can do 3 to 4 MHz at unity gain with ease, but after that it doesn't mean they have no output. It's just that it's below unity and falling at a controlled rate so the circuit doesn't oscillate (normally), and it might well be at -40dB or greater at the problem frequencies, but those frequencies are plus 110dB, so the op-amp is demanding current from the supply - which can't cope with it! Frying electrolyte tonight!

The answer is simple: shield the bloody arm FFS!

As me and the wife say: we only went to a comp!...

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 6:38am
Originally posted by shashirao shashirao wrote:

1. For shielding the MC cartridge - my P******t Xtension setup does not have a headshell, how would the wiring update work? currently my cables inside my 'carbon' tonearm terminates into a 5pin DIN.

It won't!

Carbon fibre is sexy so it sells - great marketing!

Carbon fibre is useless at shielding. It conducts but not at the voltages we're talking about (think: car HT leads).

I'm afraid to say that good shielding isn't good for marketing. We live in a different world these days. It would have mattered 40 years ago before the world was turned upside down!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic