FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

RCA Capping? :

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 8:59pm
Some people go to great lengths to treat their listening room in various ways so that the music from their speakers sounds as good as it can. Concealing metal meshing in all the room boundaries is a bit extreme for EM shielding but I wasn't really being serious. Meshing a cabinet containing audio electronics isn't such a crazy idea. If you can do it cheap, it's worth a go. Luckily I'm not an engineer or an expert of any kind so I am free to suggest unconventional things. Nothing muddy about trying to expand one's understanding of physics. Suggest a theory and then test it.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Captain Snakeoil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Snakeoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 9:48pm
 My principle aim for this thread is to establish a consensus of opinion based on individual real experience of RCA capping, which can be achieved without significant expense. I agree that broad discussion of the issues involved is essential to understanding. 
It would be an asset to this forum and it's long standing members were this to be achieved. Without corporate involvement or opinion. This would be a fine resource to access for any curious mind with a drive to improve the sound of their audio system, not only for the active members of the Graham Slee Forum. The casual browser search leads to our conversation being far from private chatter amongst mates. This silent observation is my concern when light hearted exaggeration is prone to undermine any serious conclusion. Leaving doubts as to any definite advice and results.  That has been my past experience of reading forum threads in the search for knowledge and answers. 
Accepted this is not an academic article. Nor is it intended to be, it's a forum where opinions are the cornerstone of the conversation and contributions. It would be disrespectful to criticise an individual point of view which reflects a wider perspective. 
Perhaps I have been unrealistic and am guilty of taking thingsCool too seriously...... Captain Snakeoil 

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 3:48am
An ABC Classic FM Radio (Australia) technician passed on the comment that she always makes sure there's something plugged into every socket because, "we know it reduces noise and things just sound better". She also said it was standard practice for them and has been for some time.
Mick
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 7:58am
On the Majestic, would it be okay to connect unused SPDIF inputs together with a short standard cable??
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:38am
All unused inputs can be shorted and cause no damage. This does not apply to outputs which would be overloaded when trying to pass signal, and damage would be caused.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 5:33pm
I have decided to try a hybrid version of Snakeoil Johns' RCA plugs, removing the centre pin and fitting a thin copper disc across the top of the remaining outer screen, thereby forming a cap. This should provide similar screening to the Cardas/Audioquest products but at lower cost, not (just) because I am a cheapskate but because my two DEQX processors + Majestic + Accession have 20 unused RCA sockets between them.
I will report back once all are fitted.....

(I have already successfully modified some spare XLR plugs/sockets as below for 6 other sockets - the copper disc traps between a flat rubber flange in the rear moulding & the top of the outer casework, with a small piece of trimmed cork inside, to avoid possible contact with the 3 pins).

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:34pm
Thanks Graham. I figured shorting the Majestic unused coaxial inputs together, the unused optical inputs together and + and - of the analogue input together would be fine as there is no way for a damaging current to flow. I could use  my existing Lautus or CuSat cables as they offer good screening.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic