FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

RCA Capping? :

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Captain Snakeoil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Snakeoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 12:49pm

' My idea is to extend this electrical field of both +&- and insulate them more effectively than just  placing a cap over the negative conductor‎.'

I have tried to make it clear what the thinking was before I attempted anything in my initial post. The key point was to insulate more effectively than just a cap. Surely that makes sense or perhaps I'm really missing something. Clown
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 2:50pm
I'm tempted, but - No Comment
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 4:21pm
It would probably be more thorough to "Faraday cage" the entire listening room with a metal mesh within the walls, ceiling, floor and door. I reckon that could make a difference. Geek

A mesh over the window/s would complete the prison cell look. Wink

Edited by Ash - 17 Sep 2017 at 4:23pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 5:53pm
Make it lead lined and you could survive most of a nuclear event, too!Geek
Give me an XRAY room!Cool

Seriously, any good conductive, all metal cap or cover of an exposed input will shield or fend off all EMI from entering the electronic equipment. One must also seal all external cover seams with conductive gaskets. This is what is done on medical electronics... an EKG picks up avg 1.0 mV heart signal; an EEG picks up between 0.001 mV and 0.1 mV brainwave signal.

Edited by BAK - 17 Sep 2017 at 6:03pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 8:33pm
There are a few suppliers who sell sheets of emi sheets to shield. following Ash's suggestion this could have some merit for casework, cables or components?
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 11:32pm
Not all EMI originates from outside the room. Other devices in the room may produce electromagnetic waves that can interact with audio electronics so it may be futile to mesh the whole room. But you could mesh individual devices or place all audio electronics inside a mesh container or cabinet and just have your input wire (Lautus or optical) going in and a pair of Lautus coming out going to passive speakers. I guess you could try meshing the inside faces or outer faces of speaker cabinets and/or a fine mesh over the front of the drivers, for both physical protection and EM shielding. Just an idea, not sure how much there is to be gained...

Edited by Ash - 17 Sep 2017 at 11:34pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Captain Snakeoil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Snakeoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 11:01am
Comedy? . It's just nonsense far beyond what anyone would consider let alone do, Surely? . Meshing out a whole room? Meshing all components? Talk about taking it to the extreme. It is just 'Gas' and! exactly why this area of interest is so full of doubt and mistrust.... Snakeoil. It is to be expected on certain forums that thrive on this. I referred to this in my long rant in the 'Snakeoil' survey. Something I emailed to Graham and who kindly posted it unedited. 
At least this has brought about a discussion on 'Capping' a point so far it can be concluded that those with real experience of doing this are in agreement on the efficacy of results. Those who have merely an Opinion may well check themselves on what that opinion is based upon.... when you muddy the water everyone including the name of this outstanding forum gets pulled down. That is a reality. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic