FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accessions volume control?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Eric View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by dsockel dsockel wrote:

Any reason NOT to have the volume maxed out if I am feeding an integrated amp?  

Thanks,
Dave 

Why not use the fixed output?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 8:39pm
Good point Eric.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
dsockel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsockel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 7:13pm
I am using one set of outputs to do vinyl rips and one set to feed my integrated.  Sounds like I should use the Fixed Outputs to feed my integrated and a Max Volume setting on the Variable Outputs to feed my computer for the rips.

Correct?
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by dsockel dsockel wrote:

I am using one set of outputs to do vinyl rips and one set to feed my integrated.  Sounds like I should use the Fixed Outputs to feed my integrated and a Max Volume setting on the Variable Outputs to feed my computer for the rips.

Correct?

Max volume on your digitisations?
No!
The variable output is there precisely because it's too easy to drive the inputs on the ADC too hard, and cause clipping on the input.
Use the variable output to reduce output from the phono amp into the ADC.

Edited by Chris Firth - 12 Sep 2017 at 8:40pm
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 10:51pm
Seconding Chris' advice I recommend setting the Accession variable level to keep the peak levels you see on the computer at -10dB. The dynamic range left should be plenty for a very good signal to noise ratio when recording, avoiding any clipping of peaks in the music, and you then can normalise afterwards in your editing software.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic