FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Connect new MacBook Pro to Majestic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
habitullence View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote habitullence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connect new MacBook Pro to Majestic
    Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 8:54pm
I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect USB-C to the Majestic. I also have a really expensive coaxial S/PDIF cable from GS that I've never used, would be nice if I could.

As always, advice much appreciated.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:11pm
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote habitullence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:13pm
Thanks, something like that could work with my Bitzie.

With the Majestic I wanted to go with coaxial, if possible, for the better sound quality.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote habitullence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:22pm
Is something like this http://lnx.m2tech.biz/products/evo-two/hiface-evo-two/ overkill?

Can be further combined with clock and power supply £££
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:31pm
I have a 15" Macbook Pro with two USB ports & the headphone port can also be used for optical-out. I also use a small 12" Macbook Air with only a single USB-C port (using a USB C to 3 port USB-A adaptor into the Bitzie). Apple appears to have removed optical audio output support from the headphone jack on its latest 13" or smaller Macbooks. 

None of these ports would be compatible with coax as far as I am aware so you would need to use either the Majestic USB-B or optical input via the headphone port if your Macbook Pro has it.

Does anybody else know differently?
Andrew
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote habitullence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:34pm
They removed optical on latest MacBook Pro unfortunately.

Then I read this https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html. Maybe I don't need to get wrapped up with optical after all?
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:37pm
I didn't see your last reply whilst I was posting but yes that device seems like it could do the trick, albeit adding a second cable as well as the M2Tech ahead of the coax cable you already have.
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic