FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Why Vinyl??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 4:33am
Hey,
   You answered it beautifully, actually! I meant to ask if you had any albums which were well enough mastered across all formats that you really didn’t have a preference for vinyl/hi-res/CD. Your examples illustrated it well.

I agree that it’s often all about the mastering, not the medium.

I’m with you that there are some stonkingly good CD’s out there.

Yes to researching for the best version, and that just because it says “180gm virgin vinyl” doesn’t mean it’s any good.

The only disagreement I have is about composers. Yes, CD has the advantage of low noise during quiet passages of big orchestral pieces, but I know a few composers (art music, film, etc) who find CD their least favourite, though essential, option. Much preferred is the ability to record and master at the highest possible resolution and then offer the product as a download at that level. Interestingly, while dynamic range is a concern, these people speak more about perceived texture and depth of colour. Can of worms?

Regardless, we seem to be of one mind about most things.
Cheers,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 9:31am
The Preconsonant (phono preamp) article in Elektor (July/August 1978) talks about vinyl's capability of producing +14dB instantaneous peaks, and that "(record) manufacturers estimate that the best S/N ratio possible with a first rate LP pressing is about 56dB (with respect to 0dB = 4cm/s)"

Adding the two together we get (14dB + 56dB) 70dB dynamic range. Dividing that into 6dB chunks we get the number of bits required for digitization: less than 12.

However, we should be aware that analogue sounds can be made out below the noise floor, and maybe up to 20dB below it.

So now we estimate that we have a possible 90dB (the previous 70 plus another 20) and that will require 15 bits.

Binary counting (traditionally) goes by 4 bit words, so we can have 4, 8, 12 or 16. We could truncate at 15 bits but we may as well use them all, and so 16 bit or a 96dB dynamic range would seem to be more than adequate to resolve the same, if not better than, the range of a first rate LP.

The additional bit could be used as "insurance" by transcribing the master's peaks at 6dB below, which I believe the "Fish People" (the record label of Kate Bush) do.

Therefore, providing the electronics involved do not get in the way, vinyl and CD should sound identical.

I often wonder why vinyl pundits who also listen digitally insist that a higher bit rate than CD is necessary.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 10:18am
[QUOTE=dillon]

And before we get too enamoured of our contemporary vinyl resurgence, let's understand that much of it is sourced from digital masters! Go figure. There is no full analogue path. Only a handful of audiophile labels produce full analogue records these days. And please don't get me started on 180g vinyl issues.

Dillon yes I agree on the mastering/recording being a/the key element.  I only have Vinyl & CD but some CDs are really well recorded they better the vinyl but others not.  Whilst most of my vinyl are originals from 70s/80s I have a few 'new' albums dating back to that era too, many of which are very good pressing with fine sound and dynamics.
I have dabbled with a few 'Analogue Productions' vinyl over recent months and whilst these are exceptionally quiet pressings, their presentation is a little warm and cuddly for me should we say appearing a little lacking in subjective dynamics and rolled off at the HF end/lacking sparkle.  I say this against an original (80s) Alan Parsons Album (Turn of a Friendly card) and CD on another - the results appear common - the common factor being the sound of the AP vinyl and certainly would not wish to demonise Digital as a format as I suspect some do. 

Whatever format is used the end result will reflect the source and also the components in the chain to achieve sound.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 4:11pm
Agree with the points above about the source material and the mastering. It may be worth noting that vinyl replay brings nice warm 2nd order distortion which makes most music sound nice.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 9:06am
That's the elephant in the room Jon...us vinyl loaded bods choose to forgoe the fact that vinyl introduces distortion by default. But its a nice kinda pleasant distortion, just like tubes. It imparts vinyl's character mechanically. I dont mind as I am not a total neutrality bod..I don't mind a little colour and bloom, call it what you will. But its not strictly correct. On the other hand, in every format, everything that comes after the studio master tape is then processed in some form or another. We all accept that. Its life.

Graham has given the simplest and best explanation I have yet heard on the equity of the final soundwaves regardless of format. I myself am guilty of celebrating the perceived superiority of higher resolution, despite the mathematics saying otherwise. Perhaps that is to do with my point about superior and more careful mastering for higher resolution media. Rather than technical superiority.

Mick and Richard, I think we agree and I do take on board your valid point about not all composers agreeing digital is superior.

Richard, agreed AP's EQ choices tend towards the warmer side of neutral. Won't suit everyone but right up my street simply cos I abhor shrill high frequencies. Product varies though. QRP, their pressing plant is one of the 2 or 3 best in the world. Optimal is my fave of those.

Oh, the joys of audiofoolism...dont'cha just love it!

Edited by dillon - 21 Dec 2017 at 11:59am
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 5:33am
My original reason for wanting good LP replay was that, being a classical music listener, so much of the material I wanted to hear was only available on LP. The subsequent downturn in profit from classical recording and the resulting clamoring through the back catalogues for “new” releases has made much of that material available (yay), but seemingly rushed through the mastering process (boo).
We’ve just returned from holiday in Apollo Bay, where we visited the op-shop and I bought eleven records for $22. Among them was Klemperer conducting the Philharmonia in works of Richard Strauss. It’s a World Record Club is sure from mid 80’s, on the thinnest of vinyl. It’s in pretty good nick, though, obviously well looked after.
No, it’s not a clean and perfect sounding as the CD reissue I own. However, I now know that the CD mastering sucked the life and hall ambience out of the recording and gave it a back-of-the-hall perspective. The LP has the Hall perspective expected of this great orchestra on EMI at that time. It’s just one example of many.

So there’s another answer to the “why vinyl?” question: because I hold lots of confidence that getting hold of an LP pressing of something will end up better than the digital copy I own, due to the choices made by mastering engineers.
Mick,
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 10:08am
"So there’s another answer to the “why vinyl?” question: because I hold lots of confidence that getting hold of an LP pressing of something will end up better than the digital copy I own, due to the choices made by mastering engineers."

+1

Sadly, this is the general rule in the pop and rock genres Mick. Invariably, the dynamic range of the vinyl version is much higher than the CD version. Example? The first three Oasis albums on CD are unlistenable, DR numbers of around 3 to 5 in the extreme squashed dreaded red zone. Horrific! Whilst the vinyl has an average DR of 11. Loud music but not digitally brickwalled, and yes listenable even on headphones. Go figure. Iggy Pop's Raw Power has obscene numbers hovering around 3.

Go check out the unofficial DR Database to visually see the atrocities committed on CD v the vinyl.

Low DR equals no peaks and troughs, no space, no silences, no room to breathe, no detail, no hall ambience - just a thick block of solid rubbish. Worse, it means viciously clipped signals and distortion of the waveforms.

So on modern pop and rock recordings since the mid nineties, the Loudness Wars has meant my reaching for the vinyl version 9 times out of 10. Especially with the hit or miss "remasters".

Edited by dillon - 23 Dec 2017 at 10:12am
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
  Share Topic