FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Why Vinyl??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
jupiterboy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jupiterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by rockyboris rockyboris wrote:

Why Vinyl? Normally I would say because it just sounds better but tonight I am listening to a CD (Amazon was out of vinyl) called Raising Sand and it sounds awesome almost as good as a vinyl record. Why Vinyl? The question I have is why would anyone convert vinyl to digital? I'm sorry I don't get it. It's like reverse alchemy, converting gold to ......Vinyl is about the experience, the feeling of being part of the music, it's all about the music..... Keep in mind elevator music is digital, XM radio is digital, compare that to a U2, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Miles Davis, Nirvana vinyl album. Why Vinyl? Because when I sit down to listen to MUSIC  I am actually listening, not reading a book, doing a crossword, texting, answering emails , no I am listening to MUSIC and that's why vinyl.

Mike

If you do a very good job of recording vinyl, you will capture much of the sound quality. I suspect that many of us won't be able to manage a vinyl collection forever. Mine will probably end up on something like a NAS drive, not because I want to give up playing records, but because age and loss of personal space will require some changes. The recording of vinyl becomes doubly important when only poorly compressed or hard limited digital copies exist. I have recordings of Wire's 154 or VDPs Song Cycle that are so much better than the CD versions I've had. 
rockyboris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockyboris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 4:41pm
I can see your motivation to preserve your LPs I know it doesn’t take long to fill up a bookshelf with records. I can’t explain why I’ll pass over several hundred cd’s to put on a vinyl record, cds are easier to use, you don’t have to clean them and they sound good. Why vinyl? There is something about the process of putting on and listening to a good vinyl album, maybe it takes me back to when I was a kid I don’t know. The experience, you wouldn’t go to a concert and watch it on the big screen, I want to experience it and that’s what a good vinyl recording does for me. Even a good digital recording just leaves me wanting more. I see you are from Buffalo, are you old enough to remember a local band called Big Wheelie and the hubcaps? Maybe I made your case, I can’t find their album.

Mike
GSP Majestic Enigma PSU1
GSP Proprius
GSP Accession M Enigma PSU1
GSP interconnects
Rega Planar 6. Sumiko Blackbird cart
Klipsch Heresy Mark 4
Audio Arts cables
Rel T-7 subs
chapsjon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chapsjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 11:59am
I agree that much of vinyl is the experience of it; the "connectedness" to the music if you will. When I want to be immersed in the music, I choose a record if I have what I want to listen to, otherwise I will sometimes put on a CD. For me though, I never feel quite as immersed in a  CD, probably because the physical interaction required for a record makes me feel more connected.

If I want background music, I usually do not put on a record. Background music is not typical for me, but I do put it on if we're having friends over for dinner or something. In these occasions, I don't want to be connected to the music (having to flip records, etc...) because that means be distracted from conversation.

Bottom line, music serves several purposes for me, but when it's about the music, I always prefer vinyl or live (either playing in the band or listening) when I have the means.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 1:56pm
Hi Jon
Yes as I have said before you can't beat LIVE music and better with a pint or 3
I do agree with you music as several purposes for me too
vinyl for me is about the experience coming to the end of a side then turning over for the next side all part of playing a record. I do like CDs but I do tend to skip tracks when playing them, where as Vinyl I play all the album.
Put my headphones on put a record on and I'm immersed in the music. And if I'm in a sad moody putting some thing HAPPY on makes me feel better too 
Long live vinyl

Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
brubacca View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brubacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 7:30pm
I find that Vinyl is king for some records and others CD/Digital is better on others.  Have not dived down to the nuances on that one (like how it was recorded, Digital or Analog).  

Just listen to the music.
Regards,
Charlie
Pennsylvania, USA
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 11:02am
Charlie
To me it can sound great on CD and VINYL, I think it's all down to how it's recorded if it's done bad it's never going to sound good what ever you use to listen to music. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 7:32pm
I agree with Jon. Good recordings may sound slightly different depending on how it is played back, bad recordings can be rough if a guilty pleasure.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic