FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Why Vinyl??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 8:54pm
The last band I went to see was Outlander at my local pub, the land lord gave them their 1st gig Have seen them 4 times now, never a bad night plus they are a local band to Plymouth
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
chapsjon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chapsjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 11:46am
As I've said before, I always prefer physical. Typically, I prefer the experience of vinyl. Sometimes I think it sounds better too, but that depends on mastering, pressing, etc.... I often look for used CDs as well, even vinyl I already have, so that I can listen on the go, at work, or when I just want to put on background music and not be so connected to the turntable. I generally prefer CD to download because I can rip CDs in non-compressed format and have a physical backup if worthing goes wrong. Maybe I;'m old-school, but I still feel like I don't actually own something if it's digital only.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 5:07pm
Hi Jon
Well said
I don't do downloads I'm with you I don't feel I would own that copy of music , and with my luck with computers I'd end up losing all my music.
(If I buy  new Vinyl and It comes with a download I do it then) but then I have the vinyl record, I have not yet got round to recording vinyl, some times I do buy the CD of that album at the same time.
I have heard of people losing all their music on computer that's It all gone, and have lost money.

OLD SCHOOL IS BEST
Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
chapsjon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chapsjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 2:27pm
Hey Jonathan,
I've never tried recording vinyl to computer. Back in the day I used to record to cassette for music on the go, but haven't done that in probably 30 years. I am trying to leave a legacy with my kids on music and having some small successes. They listen to entirely too much music via streaming on their phones, sounds way too tinny for me, really annoying I think. But they do each have a few records of they love. My youngest daughter is a huge Stevie Wonder fan so I bought her several of his records that she was delighted with. 
It does seem true that most people I've played records for really think they sound great and are intrigued by the "novelty" or nostalgia, even my youngest daughters teenage friends think it's cool; yet it seems another leap for them to actually embrace it for themselves. I guess in their defense there's a bit of a hurdle with equipment, space, and the media; whereas everyone has a phone and YouTube.
As for me, as you said OLD SCHOOL is Best, Jon.
Robnpg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Robnpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 2:53pm
I've done it but YEARS ago. And I didn't do it well. I do have some LP's I would like to convert to Digital. Looks like the Accession will help to do so.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 3:03pm
Hi Jon
yes the kids of today. Had a mate with his grand kid round one day last year let her look at my vinyl collection she was only 8 years old she said how do you play them on your phone, I think she was joking?

Jonathan
rockyboris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockyboris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 5:56am
Why Vinyl? Normally I would say because it just sounds better but tonight I am listening to a CD (Amazon was out of vinyl) called Raising Sand and it sounds awesome almost as good as a vinyl record. Why Vinyl? The question I have is why would anyone convert vinyl to digital? I'm sorry I don't get it. It's like reverse alchemy, converting gold to ......Vinyl is about the experience, the feeling of being part of the music, it's all about the music..... Keep in mind elevator music is digital, XM radio is digital, compare that to a U2, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Miles Davis, Nirvana vinyl album. Why Vinyl? Because when I sit down to listen to MUSIC  I am actually listening, not reading a book, doing a crossword, texting, answering emails , no I am listening to MUSIC and that's why vinyl.

Mike

GSP Majestic Enigma PSU1
GSP Proprius
GSP Accession M Enigma PSU1
GSP interconnects
Rega Planar 6. Sumiko Blackbird cart
Klipsch Heresy Mark 4
Audio Arts cables
Rel T-7 subs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic