FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Why Vinyl??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
SiE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:13pm
To be honest, I don't care where my music comes from, so long as I enjoy it! At the mo', some of the very finest and enjoyable content is coming from BBC's R3, via copper wire and thence Bluetooth to my amp & 'speakers. Having said that, there is a very different feel to the overall experience of playing vinyl, which I enjoy. It's that idea of deciding to set aside 80 minutes or so, to listen to music, flipping through the LP covers to decide what to hear, and the slightly 'ritual' aspect to placing the side on the turntable and carefully applying needle to vinyl. Psychologically (at least for me) it's a whole different ball-game to swiping through content on my iTunes, or indeed, perusing the R3 website to decide on what to hear next...
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 11:00pm
Does anyone agree with my thought that a really fine vinyl replay system can be had for less money than the same quality of disc spinning replay? If it’s true (mostly so in my experience), then that’s probably a really great answer to the “why vinyl” question.

However, one of my best friends has gone down the path of headphones, a laptop and DAC-headphone amp, and I have to admit sounds pretty great. Can’t do the social thing, though...

Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
SiE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

Does anyone agree with my thought that a really fine vinyl replay system can be had for less money than the same quality of disc spinning replay?
Dunno - my vinyl front-end cost me lots more than my CD player... and not just in terms of money. The CD player (once I'd worked out what sort of player suits me) wasn't too dear and is pretty much 'plug and play', whereas I must have spent hundreds of hours putzing around with the various elements of vinyl replay trying to figure out what I want, how I want to get it and, what component does or doesn't work with another...!  Perhaps it's telling that the the turntable I've ended up with is about as plug and play as you can get for vinyl!
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 2:51pm
[QUOTE=Aussie Mick]Does anyone agree with my thought that a really fine vinyl replay system can be had for less money than the same quality of disc spinning replay? If it’s true (mostly so in my experience), then that’s probably a really great answer to the “why vinyl” question.

Mick.

Fair point Mick. Having totted up the new replacement cost of my Vinyl and CD system they are including cables etc( which have a made big difference especially to CD), they are within 5% of each other, albeit my CD player we SH and nearly new.

Whilst enjoying both and is sometimes material dependant, overall if pressed I would suggest my CD is slightly superior but swings and roundabouts a little.  The key point is that I am not aware of any particular improvements I can make to my CD whilst a new arm and TT are both on my future shopping list so fully expect the vinyl horse to ultimately nudge ahead sooner rather than later. 

Whilst I was slow to be convinced by CD, enhanced mains and interconnects over recent years certainly liberated the dynamics, power, clarity and naturalness for above the original level to match and in some cases subjectively exceed that I experience from Vinyl.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 8:53pm
Well, then, is it a case of a fundamentally superior reproduction system with fewer parts? Less stuff to go wrong or diminish the outcome? In other words, an easier engineering solution?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 9:06pm
Vinyl requires a lot of time to set up and customize fully until you get the best sound out of it. But it would seem that it is the excellent phase integrity of vinyl reproduction that gives it such an engaging and bass-full sound (assuming good mixing/mastering). So if you have the space and the money to invest and your listening material consistently features on the vinyl medium, it should be worth it. I personally like the convenience and ease of digital audio more but I still appreciate the strengths of vinyl. Sadly I don't have the space for it and much of the music I like does not feature on vinyl. The work that does feature on vinyl tends to be much more expensive... Luckily for me, Graham Slee produced DACs to bridge almost all of the gap between digital audio and vinyl so I decided to solely invest in "bridging the gap" so I can enhance the enjoyment of whatever I want to listen to.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:01pm
There have been quite a few comments about the time and effort needed to set up a vinyl replay system. I’m very lucky because I love what Rega does and I’ve gone down that path. It’s as plug and play as my CD player. I know plenty like to “cartridge roll”, but once it was set up, I’ve just been music, music, music!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic