FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Why Vinyl??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
izafireman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izafireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Digital: depends on how it's filtered.

Vinyl: depends on what's playing it.

Too many people believing there's gold at the end of the rainbow. Wink

I think that's basically how I tried to explain it to my friend but having never listened to a decent CD based system and he never heard a decent vinyl system is was a tad difficult to explain to him. Furthermore confounded by the fact digital in his eyes must be the best and cannot possibly be improved upon by something that was far older. Though I suppose for 99% of the population this would be true and quite rightly , as most have only heard vinyl that was played on a cheap system, discs battered and scratched to hell.
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 12:10pm
I think the phase integrity thing is what I perceive most as differing between the two. If that is what it is at all, but I think we'll mastered and pressed vinyl has much more dramatic dynamism and is just quicker sounding in the turns and sounding more natural therefore. Handling the music without struggle.
Also the depth is somewhat lacking in CD I find, it can be crystal clear and well balanced but it still comes off as less "3d" and much flatter, even when you can tell it's been mastered very well. This is largely remedied with higher sampling rates eg. 24 bit 96 khz, although some people argue CD should technically be sufficient to provide as much depth as vinyl. Then of course I've yet to hear the Majestic.
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 1:17pm
Back to the tweaks other than cables I found my Marigio disc improved width substantially on CD and the use of balanced cabkes also brought out the soundstage substantially. Again in my system the revelation was much wider than the era gold and the accession improved further on this. Other tweaks including equipment supports I found improved focus, space etc.

As ever it depends on what is a comparison with cd vs vinyl or other medium. Good source tv is a useful point or reference too.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 2:49pm
I tried vinyl a few years ago with mediocre equipment and was really impressed with the dynamic impact, organic bass and pacing of the reproduction.

Not sure what I'd think now if comparing both at their best. I reckon headphone listening would truncate some of the benefits of vinyl; vinyl would shine with speakers as you get the interaural crosstalk.

I remember listening to an album on both vinyl and CD and the bass on the CD was quite flat in comparison to the vinyl, which was explosive. The vinyl had better pace and rhythm, I thought.

I think it's mainly down to how well the recording is mastered for the medium that it's on.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 2:50pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI1_u4Qj8Yc

This is one of the tracks I compared.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 9:11pm
Unfortunately getting the electronics right in such a way to make as much music as possible sound enjoyable is not a science.

Science is involved, and so is measurement and maths (lots of maths), but there is no set-in-stone formula. Those who say there is are marketing men period.

Those who say they can make discrete circuits better than the op-amp companies are identifiable by their oversized heads.

And even the op-amp companies are economical with the truth - such is marketing.

And those who are fanboyz of a particular op-amp show their inexperience publicly.

Anyone who believes an op-amp is a ready made preamp is an idiot.

Anybody who believes there is audio contained in the bits of an upsampled file needs education.

The truth is that a resistor has capacitance (and maybe some inductance), a capacitor has inductance and resistance, and an inductor has capacitance and resistance. Those who simulate circuits without these parasitics are playing at it.

And printed circuit board foil traces are inductors whatever width or thickness they are, and that includes ground planes!

Digital has to be made into analog for it to be heard by our ears, and it has all the above in its way, just like vinyl. It is also much higher in voltage which may or may not be a virtue. Try putting 2.8 volts from a D - A into a back to back protected op-amp input (answer: fuzz box) etc, etc, etc.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
charlesjohny8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesjohny8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 5:36am
I have not enough words to satisfy my friend as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic