FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Why Vinyl??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 10:04pm
I agree about wholly analogue LP's, never labelled as AAA but there's an idea! They also predate the loudness wars as do some original CD issues, so have more range and some parts become clearer rather than squashed as they are in some remasters.

Even when I have a CD of the same era I like the sound of the LP more. That has not changed as my turntable, cartridge, and preamp have  changed. And I think much of the 'vinyl warmth' is captured by a v-rip  or needle drop.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 2:24pm
I have just been reading up on vinyl sales all be it in the USA and it seems they are still growing, this was on value not on how many records sold so it may not give a true figure of volume of sales going up. But what the report does say after a bad year in 2020 for vinyl sales things are looking up, It did say that when it comes to vinyl records people do like going out to shops to buy rather than buying online, which is interesting. I must admit last year I bought more online than from record shops but this was down to all record shops being closed for most of the year. I do prefer to go to the shops myself to buy records and CDs (yes I still buy CDs) as some music I like you can't get on vinyl and this is because I don't do streaming but saying that you may not get it on there also.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 2:59am
I’ve got a slightly different take on this. I love digital for what it brings over vinyl; pitch stability, unlimited plays with no degradation, superior dynamic range. However! I love my LP rig. Right now I’m sat listening to an LP of Sting’s Ten Summoners Tales - a digital recording and a digital mastering transferred to vinyl. It’s superior to the CD I own and also sounds better than streaming it. It’s got super quiet backgrounds and tremendous detail with a fat bass I associate with records. It’s like the best of both worlds; the cleanness of digital with the slam and richness of vinyl. 
The RP8 - apheta 2 - Accession MC chain into a Solo ULDE and Utopias is tremendous and a little more engaging than the digital front end of Innuos Zen Mk3 - Qutest. I’m lucky to have a good balance between digital and analogue front ends. However, playing an original all analogue LP the quality is almost always better than a digital remaster. 
Mick
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 7:34pm
I think with vinyl you have to go back before the mid 80s and may be before CDs for true analogue, even remastered LPs are digital remastered. I would think that even new Vinyl is recorded in digital, I do know there are some recording studios still doing it in analogue but they are few and far between (I may have said this before) I still think vinyl as a future but we will have to put up with the fact it will be recorded in digital (for new albums) I have not notice any difference with the Genre of music where it's on vinyl or CD. I'm not saying there is not just that I have not heard a difference.
Most of us on this forum do like vinyl no matter what or how it's recorded
LONG LIVE VINYL
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
magical_mouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magical_mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 12:56pm
Certain music sounds beter on vinyl - it maybe that i have a tubed phono amplifier as well as a tubed headphone amplifier (both hybrids) but jazz in particular is more absorbing but not necessarily rock
magical_mouse
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 7:32pm
I agree with Jon. Good recordings may sound slightly different depending on how it is played back, bad recordings can be rough if a guilty pleasure.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 11:02am
Charlie
To me it can sound great on CD and VINYL, I think it's all down to how it's recorded if it's done bad it's never going to sound good what ever you use to listen to music. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic