FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Views on Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JonB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Views on Upgrade
    Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 6:15pm
Hi, I'm new to the forum.  

I have been trying to work out how best to upgrade my current system without spending a huge amount of money.  

Currently I have Rega RP3/Ortofon 2m Blue hooked up to Rega Brio R with Neat Motive speakers. I thought about going up to the Rega Elex but then got side tracked by thinking about a separate phone stage and the Gram Amp 2.  

If anyone had any thoughts on whether I would see a noticeable difference by adding the Gram Amp 2 as an upgrade to Brio R or instead of Elex, I'd be extremely grateful.  

If not, what level of Slee product would I need to look at to make it worthwhile?  

Ultimately there's going to be no substitute but to jump in and test products, but some views are always good first off.  

Thanks
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 9:22pm
I was in a similar position to you a whole back (I'd have to check how long ago I joined the forum to know when). I followed the posts and by the time I was ready to request a loan I jumped straight in with the best that was available at the time, the Reflex M. I was smitten and didn't ever consider trying the cheaper options. Since then I've built a couple of Genera for the kids and they perform exceedingly well too.

Oh, welcome BTW. It's good here.

Edited by ICL1P - 10 Aug 2017 at 9:33pm
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 9:42pm
Jon, welcome from me too.
Like Ifor I got here after studying the forum for a while and acquiring a Fanfare MC phono. Then a Genera, then a Solo, then the ULDE upgrade, then a Reflex M, next a Majestic. You get the idea, once you hear GSP products you'll understand the philisophy.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 12:05pm
Another welcome to forum from me, Jon . . .Smile

All of Graham's products offer exceptional performance at their price points, and I echo Ifor and Ian's comments. I'm a total convert to Graham's no-nonsense philosophy - as you could guess from my signature Embarrassed Big smile, so could be considered somewhat biased Shocked in my views.

I'd thoroughly recommend you take advantage of this forum's no-obligation loan scheme to try products in your own system so you can see how they perform for you. Just PM Fatmangolf (aka Jon) to arrange, if you feel so minded. 

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Baflar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baflar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 1:04am
Here's an unexpected upgrade problem. I've been trying out the Gram Amp 2 Communicator (GA2C), in search of a cleaner treble and clearer soundstage. It sounded great, provided what I needed, and more besides. But then my 25-year old Audiolab 8000A amp showed signs of needing a servicing. I've contacted Kevin Green (who seems to come with recommendations on another forum site), who assured me that if he services the Audiolab the before-after improvement will be huge! The question is, does the phono stage of an Audiolab, at its best, equal a GA2C? (in which case, do I buy the GA2C or the Audiolab service?), or would the GA2C be necessary as well as the Audiolab service? Or would it make sense to stay with the Audiolab 'as is', and just get the GA2C? Wacko . The option of getting a completely new amplifier is a non-starter - I can't afford it!

I realise the proof of the pudding is in the listening, but there's no way of testing a refurbed Audiolab without buying the refurb!

For the record, the rest of the relevant equipment is: STD turntable, Hadcock unipivot arm, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Harbeth HL Monitor (Mk.2) speakers. Fingers crossed for answers!

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 3:28am
Do you only listen to vinyl? If you run other things through your amp then a good service will benefit everything you listen to. If all you use is vinyl, and the GA2C was such an obvious improvement, well, you already know it's a big improvement, right?

Secondly, although I've not heard the Audiolab, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've not yet heard an onboard phono stage at that price of amp that couldn't be improved on by one of Graham's phono stages.

Good luck with your choice!
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 3:31am
Hi Jon,
   I do the Rega/Ortofon thing with a Reflex M and I'm super happy. I also suspect that should I ever want to "upgrade" from my 2M Black, the Reflex could comfortably cover it and show the full benefits.

Clearaudio Charisma V2, anyone?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic