FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Speaker cables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:18pm
Nearly, as mick says suck it and see (point 2) as this may depend on your insitu installation
Baflar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baflar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 12:37pm
All great comments!  I'll try summing up:

1.  Proprietory cables will probably produce an improvement over the unbranded 'parallel' cables
2.  The open-platform stands, terminating in castors, are unlikely to be any worse than expensive stands with spikes
3.  Whatever the hoped-for improvement, it has to be tested in situ.

All agreed?! Thumbs Up 
(That sets me up for a mildly obsessive few months! Wacko )

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 12:17pm
And yet another option! I've put first generation Pulsar Points on the spikes of the stands and it's brought more precision and dynamic flexibility the sound. My opinion these days is that EVERYTHING matters to some degree and it's not always positive and not always obvious. Suck it and see is the only real way to know.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 4:19pm
I thought spikes were to penetrate through carpet therefore I don't use the spikes supplied with my stands because I have a tiled floor. Ermm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 3:22pm
As far as spikes vs castors are concerned, I have a very nice pair of retired Shahinian Obelisks with castors fitted as standard and at no point did I feel that this compromised the sound on either solid or suspended floors. I haven't used 'standard' spikes on speakers for several years.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 3:04pm
Whilst I remain agnostic in the spike debate many years ago filling some substantial metal stands with lead shot to deaden them completely ruined the sound of some of the Big IMF transmission line speakers robbing of dynamics and drives amongst other things. Care is needed to judge for yourself as to what works thigh stands are important as are the connections to the floor.
Baflar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baflar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

Originally posted by Baflar Baflar wrote:

Now, what the blenge is so wrong with these speaker stands?! Ermm

Probably nothing, other than the dealer maybe trying to sell you new ones.
Are the ones being proposed meant to be spiked to the floor?

Many folk have the idea that spiking speakers to the floor tightens up the sound, which in my experience is not the case.

In my experience spiking speakers to the floor causes all sorts of problems, usually an unnatural and forced midband being most prominent. If you have suspended floors the floor becomes a sympathetic resonator too.

The castors on your current stands probably provide decent enough isolation from the floor.

Very helpful comment, Chris.  Thanks for that.  The dealer 'not a million miles away' did say I need speaker stands that spike to the floor, and fill the columns with sand.  Given that this type of stand tends to have a solid platform, it seems to me that this will pretty reliably result in transmitting sound straight into my floorboards, introducing all sorts of colouration.  It's much the same as the principle used in transmitting the vibration into the sound-box on an old-fashioned mechanical gramophone: a rigid element terminating in a somewhat flexible transmitter.  At least the castors provide single-point contact, from a curved surface, so very little transmission, from a base that has negligible incoming vibration.

All in all, I don't find the dealer's advice very credible...!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic