FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Can snake oil fix a bad room? (a survey)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 10:20pm
I would not personally recommend spraying fluids on electrical contacts in case you short out connections. Gold-plated contacts are very resistant to corrosion. Keep the equipment away from moisture and very humid environments and simply wipe contacts with a clean non-abrasive cloth that it VERY slightly damp. I personally use unscented Dettol anti-bacterial wipes for cleaning my audio equipment. I take one out the pack, wring it out very thoroughly until only slightly damp, put it over my index finger and gently rub the surface to be cleaned.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 8:43pm
I agree with the posts above but must point out that Gold doesn't oxidise at room temperature or pressures. It's the other stuff on the contacts we should remove in regular cleaning and repatching. Houses are full of dust with organic crud that gets into everything. Fingers are covered in grease and bacteria.

By the way I fitted some Audioquest phono caps yesterday and think it sounds slightly better. I shall see if the frequency analysis is different...
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 9:10pm
Well this probably proves nothing but here goes. The yellow noise spectrum is with the RCA caps in and black is without the caps in the extra input sockets of my EXP. Output of Accession on full, SME IV arm in rest with Phoenix loaded at 100 ohms.
Noise spectrum of EXP/Accession with and without RCA caps

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 10:01pm
Odd the difference is evident at very low frequencies if I am reading this correctly?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 11:21pm
Yes which wasn't what I expected Richard. I think even the little mid and high frequencies would be more audible at my listening levels. Bearing in mind I turned the Accession output up by around 10dB these are pretty low levels of noise so I doubt I could hear the difference shown in the noise floor, which would surely be masked by the music and the vinyl roar even on my cleaned records?

Instead it is probably what Graham has written about RF mixing with audio, and what happens when that gets into a circuit. Maybe I should run the test on gear that is not as well engineered as GSSP/HFC! If I have a chance tomorrow I will record the same section of an LP with and without the RCA caps and probably see no difference! With the caps on the music does sound better to me, a little crisper on percussion and more focussed. Or I've been at the snake oil again...
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 12:02am
Revised version of noise comparison
I suspect we are looking at the noise floor of my little digital recorder which is in my hifi rack on the shelf above my BDP. So I moved it up a shelf and redid the sampling - you'll see the 50Hz and 150Hz peaks are lower. The impact of the caps being over the spare sockets is negligible here IMO, which reinforces the need to have music playing. A good idea regardless!

Edited by Fatmangolf - 02 Aug 2017 at 12:05am
Jon

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Instead it is probably what Graham has written about RF mixing with audio, and what happens when that gets into a circuit ... With the caps on the music does sound better to me, a little crisper on percussion and more focussed. Or I've been at the snake oil again...

"Designers have often been surprised at the signal integrity and EMC problems caused by simply replacing a device with the same type in a smaller package. One designer used a chip-scale IC in 2000, operating at the very low clock frequency of 1kHz, and was amazed to find that his product was failing emissions tests at 1GHz, due to the 1 millionth harmonic of the clock."

(Cherry Clough Consultants, Advanced PCB design and layout for EMC. Part 1)

So, if I replace a negative feedback parallel capacitor bank with a series capacitor bank I hear less "hash", but the only difference I am able to measure is due to the parallel inductances of the capacitors changing the direction of the phase curve ever so slightly positive at 110MHz, where the series capacitor bank does not. The difference is only 1.3 degrees.

The IC I am using is a shrink size package...

"The increasing emissions occurs because smaller silicon feature sizes means

less capacitance in the devices
    faster switching edges (shorter transition times)
    hence more energy in a harmonic spectrum that extends to higher frequencies

The shrinking silicon feature size issue ... also applies to some analogue ICs. ICs are being made using silicon fabrication processes that employ ever-smaller feature sizes simply to improve the yield from the silicon wafers to make more money for the semiconductor companies.

So even buying the same old devices doesn't protect a manufacturer from 'die shrinks', and a new batch of ICs can make a previously EMC-compliant product non-compliant, or even make its operation unreliable by compromising signal integrity."

(Again, Cherry Clough Consultants, Advanced PCB design and layout for EMC. Part 1)

Some will consider this snake oil I'm sure.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic