FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession Duo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 2:16pm
Some form of modular design would help a basic design accommodate users needs. This may include the need for a factory return for upgrade or if user changeable depending on practicality and cost.

I only have MC need but in theory this could change so having one or both could be an asset if not impacting on core price. Useful to have 78 rpm module for some also?

So long as casework can accommodate all normal options the innards could be left unfilled and sockets blanked so long as has the capacity?

My needs are simple i.e. Best sound, good connectivity with the flexibility to change loading, gain for some as my preamp already does that and maybe XLR option in and out?
Twin inputs no use to me but clearly are for others -again maybe optional?
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

If it ends up with more than one output, I wouldn't be interested.

The existing Accession has two outputs: fixed and variable, which would be retained on the "twin", and so I guess you won't be wanting one?

The simplest way to make it modular would be to use a half width or 42 HP card frame; with suitable rear panel; top and bottom cladding, and perhaps wooden end cheeks to make it look nice.

It would need to have two input modules (MM+MM or MM+MC or MC+MC) and it would need an output module (cards with card fronts). So that's thee modules (cards) out of a possible five. Therefore a basic unit would have a double-width blank front to fill in the space left.

Deja Vu!

(OK, I know the case is upside down)

Each input card would have an output level control which is obviously needed because of the various cartridge outputs - unless you would want to keep adjusting your volume control every time you changed to the other TT.

It would feed an output card which can be a plain switched stage, or a mixer stage.

It would also enable a high output card to be fitted to suit all those valve amp people who asked me for at least 2.2V rms out.

Another space could be used for a headphone amp.

The size? 267mm wide x 135mm (3U) high x 240mm deep.

Basically the same as this lot but half width . . .

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

If it ends up with more than one output, I wouldn't be interested.

The existing Accession has two outputs: fixed and variable, which would be retained on the "twin", and so I guess you won't be wanting one?

Sorry, what I said isn't what I meant. Yes, I would want both outputs, but not two of each.

Maybe this lot should be moved to thread dedicated to the Accession Twin.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 7:38pm
Wooden end cheeks! Nice 'n retro! LOL 

How about a full width rack unit with slots for a Solo, Majestic and a couple of Proprii as well. Put a turntable on top and you have: <ta daa> a music centre . . . 

Being serious - how living room friendly would a "rack" be? I guess making a bespoke rack housing for the modules would be just too expensive. If it weren't for the mixer, you said a Majestic-width case might do. Would this need to be factory configured with the two phono stages of choice?

I'm guessing all the switches need to be doubled up? Would there be just one set of outputs? 

So many things to think of! 

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 9:25pm

Maybe this lot should be moved to thread dedicated to the Accession Twin.

Agreed but it could cause some confusion Wink (we're all so used to drifting off topic)

Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Wooden end cheeks! Nice 'n retro! LOL

How about a full width rack unit with slots for a Solo, Majestic and a couple of Proprii as well. Put a turntable on top and you have: <ta daa> a music centre . . .

Thought you'd like that. LOL

If you've room for a full width card frame then it could make things easier to source for me, but a basic three card unit would have a lot of wasted space. Studer managed to fit a 40 watt amp on a card . . .

Being serious - how living room friendly would a "rack" be? I guess making a bespoke rack housing for the modules would be just too expensive. If it weren't for the mixer, you said a Majestic-width case might do. Would this need to be factory configured with the two phono stages of choice?

You'll have seen the size of some 5.1 channel amplifiers? They'll be 3U high and at least 17" wide.

I was just guessing at the case size and later realised it would need to be plugged modules because there are differences between the MM and MC stages (as I've been preaching for ages), and being analogue the connectors need to be top quality, and that means what they use in studios. See the first page of this: https://b2b.harting.com/files/livebooks/en/PRD0200000100063/downloads/livebook.pdf

I'm guessing all the switches need to be doubled up? Would there be just one set of outputs?

So many things to think of!

Yes, each second stage of an MM or MC channel obviously has its own record EQ following the cartridge EQ, and that's where the switching between the different upper time constants happen for RIAA; NAB, and FFRR LP.

The idea of using a mixing module allows a main and a monitor output which can be used independently such that the monitor output would select one or the other inputs whilst the main output is doing either. Or something like that. I will have to dig out the CCM3 design work I did a long time ago.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 9:50pm
135mm high, is that correct? Thanks over 5 inches and that is 2 1/2 times the current sizing?
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 11:38pm

Wooden end cheeks! Nice 'n retro! LOL 

I don't know; I keep looking up my new Majestic and I think it looks gorgeous. Wood wouldn't improve it.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic