FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession Duo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accession Duo
    Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 1:33pm
It's good here that the Accession MC is ready for launch. I assume this means that Accession Duos are closer to reality (MM+MC or MM+MM or MC+MC). Graham, what do you expect would be the approximate width of an Accession Duo; would it be 2 x Accession or closer to the Majestic?
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

It's good here that the Accession MC is ready for launch. I assume this means that Accession Duos are closer to reality (MM+MC or MM+MM or MC+MC). Graham, what do you expect would be the approximate width of an Accession Duo; would it be 2 x Accession or closer to the Majestic?

The answer to that would be yes . . .

Either the same width as a Majestic or 2x the Accession. Too early to say to be honest. Then there's the guys who go around playing high fidelity music at venues - "disco for grown-ups" who want mixing facilities, so I'm a bit torn as to what to do.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 5:53pm
Yes, I can see that mixing facilities would complicate matters, not that I really know what it means. Is it like a balance control between the two stages instead of a simple switch?
Ifor
=====
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 9:33pm
That's a cross-fader. A mixer isn't all that complicated unless the designer wants it to be. Think of it as a level control on each circuit. The ouput of the pots (their wipers) are summed via resistors (one per channel) into a summing amp, and the Accession already uses summing amplifier configurations for its main circuitry. The output of the mixer summing amp provides the mixed program, which is usually one or the other input unless doing a segue. It would use one of these anyway after the Accession "twin" level control, and so it's just a matter of two pots instead of one.

A turned down pot still leaks some sound (but you have to listen hard) and so to please everybody it would need a mute switch.

Just throwing ideas around here. Further comments/interest welcome.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 8:14am
This does sound like quite a niche market. A Duo would be expensive (in GSP terms, anyway) so how much would a mixer add to the, er, "mix" ?
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 11:55am
High end disco seems to be getting more popular. We now have two customers who play vinyl direct to audiences, and one who is an advisor on such things. I would have to ask John C, but I'm sure he mentioned we'd supplied some of our "better" phono stages for an up market Ibizan club.

Home users may just want a phono preamp which does MM+MC but that market is stuffed full of competing products and I don't know if I want to waste my efforts in that direction. The response I get from newsletters never changes - reading between the lines people aren't that interested in innovation and just buy something that makes a nice tune. There are a few who recognise my efforts, but the majority don't seem to care.

The "twin" would have to feature card slots to accomodate the different set-ups people want:  (MM+MC or MM+MM or MC+MC) as Ifor noted. The very next step would be to have a line input also, and then we're into preamp territory, and there's little call for a preamp with two RIAA inputs and only one line. Yes, I have often been asked for such a product but not sufficiently to make it viable.

Then there are professional users who want three phono input channels. Occasionally we are asked to supply three identical phono stages for such applications. The purchaser often takes the products apart to make them fit in one unit.

From the above I believe a mixer type of selection could result in a viable product that we could sell a few more of.

It is easier to implement than switching - costs would be similar. It has the benefit of being able to set individual levels such that cartridge outputs which vary widely are accomodated, and that must be worth having?

It would be good to get more views as I don't want to be barking up the wrong tree.

ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 1:47pm
For me, I'd just want a switching twin MM to feed the single analogue input of the Majestic. If it ends up with more than one output, I wouldn't be interested. It would be good to know that if I ever wanted to go down the MC route I could replace an MM card with an MC card.
Ifor
=====
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic