FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Vinyl comeback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 2:36pm
I probably said this before but my feelings on the current vinyl trend are mixed. Frankly I'm waiting for the mainstream portion of it to die down a bit, which I think is going to happen. Remember Beanie Babies, comic books, and baseball cards? All those things went through trends with market prices being severely inflated until they crashed. 

I said this elsewhere but you can already see mainstream shops in the U.S. like mall stores, B&N, and Amazon reducing their vinyl stock or doing liquidation. 

I think when the dust settles, vinyl will be back to a thing for audiophiles, music nerds, record collectors, etc. and fans of niche genres that have done well on vinyl over the years. I also think when the fad of half-baked popular reissues on colored vinyl and such dies down we'll get better quality pressings overall with less of the problems that have been an issue recently like off-center, factory warps, non-fill, etc. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 7:57pm
Agreed. It does have the symptoms of a fad. I think that CDs are also on the way out eventually. Streaming is so easy and convenient that I think it will continue to grow as the primary source of music and develop with more Hi Res options. That's how both my children listen to music.

Personally I prefer vinyl to any other format and I am very happy about the current situation since there are so many good LPs being produced.

I listen to Hi Res PCM and DSD files on my computer as background to whatever tasks I am doing online but digital still doesn't make me as happy as vinyl.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:13am
Some of the recent LPs I've bought have sounded poor & will do the reputation of records no good at all,
but LP SQ always did vary widely. When at its best it is unbeatable.
I hope CD stays around for a lot longer. Ironically CD sound has really matured now -
just as some are trying to kill it off, as many tried to kill off Vinyl in the 80s & 90s.

Edited by RichW - 22 Jan 2020 at 10:13am
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:53am
I am old enough to have started out with records, cassette tapes and even briefly 8 track before embracing CDs. As you know the early CDs were horrible but to me they sounded great at the time. I got caught up in all the enthusiasm for the new technology. I moved to SACD, XRCD etc looking for better sound and was quite happy for a while. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I got back into vinyl.

Some CDs do sound quite good but at least for me I find them a bit fatiguing after a while. I have uploaded my collection to my computer.

I can only speak from personal experience and possibly it would have been different with better equipment.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Some of the recent LPs I've bought have sounded poor & will do the reputation of records no good at all,
but LP SQ always did vary widely. When at its best it is unbeatable.
I hope CD stays around for a lot longer. Ironically CD sound has really matured now -
just as some are trying to kill it off, as many tried to kill off Vinyl in the 80s & 90s.

CD has already been severely cut back due to flagging sales. I suspect this will continue until CD becomes a niche format, which it kind of already is right now. Majors and even indies have already been cutting back on CD releases and reissues. I still like the format and will continue to play it no matter what. I have over 4,000 of them and still buy new and used CDs on a regular basis. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by kgilroy kgilroy wrote:

I am old enough to have started out with records, cassette tapes and even briefly 8 track before embracing CDs. As you know the early CDs were horrible but to me they sounded great at the time. I got caught up in all the enthusiasm for the new technology. I moved to SACD, XRCD etc looking for better sound and was quite happy for a while. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I got back into vinyl.

Some CDs do sound quite good but at least for me I find them a bit fatiguing after a while. I have uploaded my collection to my computer.

I can only speak from personal experience and possibly it would have been different with better equipment.

CD is very much a case by case thing. The overall sound of a CD will depend greatly on the quality of the original recording, what source was used, and how it was mastered. Just like with LP - there are horrible sounding pressings and good sounding pressings of any given album that's been pressed up a truckload of times. 

I have ripped a large portion of my collection to FLAC but I still prefer playing the physical discs when I can, for purely subjective reasons. 
chapsjon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chapsjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:14am
I prefer vinyl to CD if I have an option. Some of that is because of the poor quality of many early CDs, some because I grew of with vinyl and there's some nostalgia involved, but much of it is that to my ear it often sounds better. As I said before, I prefer physical formats partly due to the greater "connection" to the music. Even preferring vinyl, I have hundreds of CDs and will buy a CD over files if an album is not available on vinyl. I have ripped my CD collection to FLAC for those times when I am away from home or the convenience of setting up a playlist for background music. In these cases, I use my Mac mini and Audirvana to play my music files.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic