FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Vinyl comeback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:25pm
Agreed. I was in my local HMV store at the weekend and noticed the huge record display had been scaled back, maybe the resurgence is coming to an end for now?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
elwood p dowd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elwood p dowd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 8:54am
yeah, it was over a year ago, but could argue that that is more to do with the way hmv struggled, was taken over & is changing its business model maybe?

the queues at pressing plants are currently huge - okay, partly due to there being fewer of them - but know of at least one group that is not releasing a physical version of their new single due to the delays 

nb - not sure how much covid or b****t has affected this
this is why events unnerve me
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by elwood p dowd elwood p dowd wrote:

yeah, it was over a year ago, but could argue that that is more to do with the way hmv struggled, was taken over & is changing its business model maybe?

the queues at pressing plants are currently huge - okay, partly due to there being fewer of them - but know of at least one group that is not releasing a physical version of their new single due to the delays 

nb - not sure how much covid or b****t has affected this

HMV has been gone in North America for a long time. Here we had big box stores like Best Buy and Barnes and Noble try to cash-in on the vinyl trend. Big box stores use metrics and will jump on trend bandwagons when they can but it doesn't always work for them. For example, bobblehead figurines, or beanie babies years back. Vinyl is not going to be a game-changer for these stores.

RE: pressing plants, they were straining under demand before C-19. Fads like RSD made things worse every year. Things are bad now because more people are working from home and using money they would've spent on other things to buy more records and hi-fi gear. That means releases are selling out faster and labels need to do additional pressing runs. Many plants here had to close for 3 months or more and then had employees get sick. That created additional backlog.

A friend is having a record pressed at one of the few NA plants that didn't have a huge lead time. Most here are looking at 6-8 months. Now the plant is telling him his record is delayed. They've done this twice now. When the record finally does get done, in the end he'll end up waiting the same amount of time as if he had the record pressed elsewhere. One thing to remember is that independent projects for these plants are low priority. When a major comes knocking and needs more Taylor Swift LPs or banana shaped picture discs for RSD, your project will get "bumped" even if you were first in line.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
elwood p dowd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elwood p dowd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 4:06pm
yeah always been the way with majors
lol at the banana shaped picture discs, was there one for the dickies or did you make it up - it's very plausible & only a matter of time before there is one if so.....

newbury comics over there that do exclusive presses too
this is why events unnerve me
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by elwood p dowd elwood p dowd wrote:

yeah always been the way with majors
lol at the banana shaped picture discs, was there one for the dickies or did you make it up - it's very plausible & only a matter of time before there is one if so.....

newbury comics over there that do exclusive presses too

I made it up, but there are loads of fad/crap/gimmick RSD releases every year. Very rarely is there anything I really want or need anymore. The majors scrape the barrel at this point and have effectively co-opted RSD from what it was supposed to be. It doesn't really help indie stores either in every case, because many are forced to order large amounts of records on business credit cards in order to avoid missing out on traffic. Then after RSD is over some of the releases sit around for months or years unsold. One store near me created a huge "old RSD" section for that stuff and started marking down everything.

Newbury pressings are just colored vinyl versions of records you can get elsewhere using the same exact metalwork. In rare cases they have used mother/father plates from old, desirable audiophile editions - like with a couple of Sonny Rollins titles.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
TimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 9:05pm
RSD - There are only so many Dave Lee Roth yellow splatter vinyl live albums a person needs. It my case it’s none.

All the small labels I buy from have reported massive lead times on pressing vinyl. One I pre-ordered in Feb is not out until late September. RSD and the aforementioned majors just get in the way pressing copies of Ed Sheeran LPs for people who probably don’t have a turntable or taste.Dead
L*nn LP12, Jelco 750D, AT440MLb / Technics 1200 MKII (Various Carts) / GS Gram Amp 2 SE / Audiolab and Arcam Amplification / Mission 752 Freedom / Dynaudio Audience 42
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 4:19pm
there are loads of fad/crap/gimmick RSD releases every year. Very rarely is there anything I really want or need anymore. The majors scrape the barrel at this point

Sorry to say, I couldn't agree more, it's no longer a date in my calendar.
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic