FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Vinyl comeback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 11:36am
I think that it may be a generational thing. My adult son listens to music exclusively through streaming services as does my daughter.
Their comment when listening to records on my system was "wow, you don't know what you're missing"   Basically meaning that if you have never heard well recorded music on a good system you have no reference point relative to what you are used to. So if more people have the opportunity perhaps this will prolong the current vinyl resurgence.
However the trend with data, video and music is to move away from local sources to a cloud based system and even though my kids were knocked out by the sound of my rig they are not rushing out to buy turntables. They have other life priorities.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by kgilroy kgilroy wrote:

I think that it may be a generational thing. My adult son listens to music exclusively through streaming services as does my daughter.
Their comment when listening to records on my system was "wow, you don't know what you're missing"   Basically meaning that if you have never heard well recorded music on a good system you have no reference point relative to what you are used to. So if more people have the opportunity perhaps this will prolong the current vinyl resurgence.
However the trend with data, video and music is to move away from local sources to a cloud based system and even though my kids were knocked out by the sound of my rig they are not rushing out to buy turntables. They have other life priorities.

It's not just a generational thing...it's also due to the fact that most people are not music nerds, audiophiles, record collectors, etc. They just listen to music casually and like top 40, the flavor of the month, or a handful of particular artists. For them streaming to a pair of cheap BT headphones or a mono BT speaker is good enough for them. People that care about music enough to get better sound will do so, even if that means doing a modest upgrade like buying a better pair of headphones or a pair of decent powered speakers. Some of those folks will then upgrade again later. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
WigglyWoo View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WigglyWoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:27am
It's certainly true that my kids go for convenience but they do also value good quality sound (perhaps from growing up with my obsession around it) and even the tactile nature of vinyl and the closer connection with their favourite artists...

CD is great but limited by the constraints of the Red Book standard (44kHz, 16bit) - a good HD recording at 24bit, 96kHz sounds more similar to vinyl in terms of detail but without the surface noise, pops and crackles etc. hence from a sound perspective is probably the most ideal... but there's nothing like the physical experience of playing a record...
Solo ULDE; Reflex M; Accession MC+Enigma and other tomfoolery...
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:15pm
Good point well made Patientot. I bumped into a friend of mine over Christmas who said I had changed his life by recommending he buy a decent portable player and headphones to enjoy his music rather than a mobile phone. And visitors to my living room comment on hearing more of the music than they've heard before, and that's at levels you talk over!

I agree about the pleasure of planning a record... dropping the arm and lid (dust in my house) and being in the chair before the music starts. Nice.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:58pm
I guess time will tell and frankly it doesn't really matter how people listen to music as long as they get pleasure from it.
Digital music technology is getting better all the time and there is obviously some demand for higher quality audio once people are exposed to it.
It is likely that multiple options will exist for a long time. I was late to the game - didn't really put together a decent system until I was in my late 30's - cd based. Now that I am retired I have the time to explore
I suspect that many members of the forum listen to music in different ways. My primary system is vinyl based and I have yet to find anything better.   However I also listen on my Mac mini feeding a Dac and powered speakers on my desk, with iTunes managing my library and an inexpensive app called BitPerfect playing the music. (a bit off topic but I highly recommend it)
I also have an SACD player which can sound very good. In addition I stream music from my Mac to other parts of my house using Apple Airport Express.

Sorry to ramble a bit ( comes with age)

Anyway Vinyl Rules !!!
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

chapsjon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chapsjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 12:52pm
My kids default to streaming most of their music, but since they grew up with my love for music and preference for physical formats and vinyl when I can get it, they also have record players and some vinyl. They only use it on occasion, but at they do hear a difference and appreciate the physical format for special music: the ability to look at the cover, read liner notes, and be more present with the music as you drop the needle. For me, while I love music, it is the entire experience of vinyl that resonates with me.
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 1:35pm
This Apollo/Transco fire is certainly not good news for the vinyl resurgence.

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/apollo-transco-vinyl-lacquer-fire/
Keith

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic