FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Vinyl comeback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl comeback
    Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:39am
Not sure if this is the right place but a feed from Auntie Beeb announces that Sony will start pressing vinyl again for the first time since 1989. Production to start in March next year. 

Bit nonplussed with this news as an article in one of the magazines last year was all doom and gloom about vinyl production due to the age and lack of spares for the ancient equipment used in record production. 

Or is just that Sony have invested in building new machines when others wouldn't. I suppose all will be revealed in the fullness of time, but looking rosy if players like this enter the game.

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:40am
I read an article saying the same thing today. Sony are huge. They'll invest in new gear, surely?
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:47am
That was my initial thought because when I read the article I found it had to believe that someone hadn't had spare lathe cutting heads made, can't be beyond an engineers skill (might be expensive) but people have parts for old cars made all the time. Looking forward to some of their back catalogue being reissued, better start saving.
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheepskinstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 1:33pm
An interesting development certainly especially if they have indeed invested in new equipment. Some of the pressings that are released today are very poorly done with far too much surface noise.
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 3:01pm
Yes. I saw this article too. I hope something good comes of it although, wasn't it Sony that was hell bent on replacing vinyl with their CD technology in the 80s and started vinyl's demise? That said, for some of us vinyl never really went away. For me, it became the enthusiasts end of the music spectrum. Like a good bottle of wine to be appreciated rather than CD's weekday vin ordinare.
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by sheepskinstu sheepskinstu wrote:

Some of the pressings that are released today are very poorly done with far too much surface noise.

Depends on the wax used to cut the master and swarf removal. Also the cleanliness of the electroless plating solutions used to make the stamper from it.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheepskinstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 7:24pm
That's very interesting Graham. There's a fascination with using 180g vinyl but some of my best pressings are much lighter than this. Some of the mastering isn't the best either especially now it's digital.

I'm very happy that vinyl is still on an upward curve but I hope it doesn't become quantity over quality.

Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by sheepskinstu sheepskinstu wrote:

Some of the pressings that are released today are very poorly done with far too much surface noise.

Depends on the wax used to cut the master and swarf removal. Also the cleanliness of the electroless plating solutions used to make the stamper from it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic