FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Music Maker III or Soundsmith Zephyr III

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Music Maker III or Soundsmith Zephyr III
    Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 2:44am
Hi All,
The Soundsmith Zepher III is currently available for a decent price, and the Catridge Man Music Maker III is heavily discounted, too. Is anyone using these carts currently? Or indeed has anyone heard both of them within a reasonable timeframe to let you muse on their strengths and weaknesses?

I'm currently using an Ortofon 2M Black and wondering where some fun money might end up.
Cheers,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 10:40am
I can thoroughly recommend the Hana SH.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 7:51pm
Who is discounting the Music Maker? It's on my desired list, but the price has been the main bar to getting one.

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 12:23am
I have switched from 2M Black to a Hana SH and i am not regretting it in the slightest.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 3:24am
To answer the above...

Elusivedisc is offering the Music Maker discounted.

I'm assuming the recommendation is for the high output version of the Hana? I'm not up for step up yet, so it must be used with the Reflex M (hopefully Accession before too long!)

The reason I'm asking about those two particular carts is that I'm interested in what MI does. They're well reviewed, but hearing one in the flesh is not going to happen any time soon.

Steve, can you tell me a little bit about the differences between the 2M Black and the Hana?

Chris, why Hana? Have you also experienced the 2M Black or Bronze?

Thanks all,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:13am
For me the 2M black in my system always teetered on the edge of hardness, I noticed that the I wasn't listening to records as much. It also seemed a very sensitive tracker. 

I didn't dislike the 2M , I even the replaced the needle so you could say I had two, I just wasn't enjoying it as much.

As for the differences , its a couple of months now but I would would say that the Hana is less forensic, slightly warmer and perhaps slight less detailed bass, but more enjoyable. 

I guess I am saying that I am listening to the record rather than examining it, also at 2g tracks better. 
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:21am
Thanks, Steve,
     I felt a few of the same things about the Black. However, I've managed to alleviate the problems in my system largely by experimenting with various shims under my RB808 arm. Tail down a little and the hardness went away completely, but the detail was preserved untouched. A MC loving friend said he thought it the best hed ever heard the Black, and I tend to agree. He's still rather happy with his various MC carts, though!
Mick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic