FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Voices In My Head

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:08pm
Ahhh that was my thinking at best Graham. But I'm not gonna admit that until now. I do have an upgrade cable on the phones which may indeed be the source of the issue. The great thing is it works beautifully with my Solo ULDE yaaay!!
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:18pm
Sounds like a partial version of the out of phase (left minus right) effect you can get by pulling the stereo jack out slightly so the left and right transducers are in series and share the right channel. Not what the manufacturer intended!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:36pm
Yes i thought that too Jon. And that is easily demonstrated. But in this case, the actual presentation is spot on sonically and far superior to the in your head presentation coming from the other "normal" connectors. No signal loss at all. Strange but true! I'm going with Graham's view as I don't have another explanation. And going to listen some more to my front of noggin headstage!
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 10:57pm
The K1000 with "wings" fully out gives a very spatial image that typically wraps all around the wearer's head, sometimes around the back. I have not experienced that presentation with anything else. Along with its excellent bass weight and foot-tapping pace, it's very impressive. I will have to try them both with binaural recordings again before I get them sold.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 7:55am
Originally posted by dillon dillon wrote:

Yes i thought that too Jon. And that is easily demonstrated. But in this case, the actual presentation is spot on sonically and far superior to the in your head presentation coming from the other "normal" connectors. No signal loss at all. Strange but true! I'm going with Graham's view as I don't have another explanation. And going to listen some more to my front of noggin headstage!

I also think Graham is right. You were hearing a combination of normal headphone sound and the out of phase sound.

The circuit Graham described could be built with a variable resistor (potentiometer) for a blending or a fixed resistor switched in series with the common return/ground to go from normal operation through your auditory experience to the full out of phase. I also have a pair of LCD2's and am curious to explore the sound you heard. Do you have you got a multimeter to measure the resistor of the extension you were using?

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 11:10pm
Busy at work and I couldn't lay my hands on the bits to rig this up so I may pop into Maplin tomorrow and make up an out of head adaptor to try with my LCD2's (and other headphones). If so, do you want to try it Dil and let me know what you think?
Jon

dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 9:31pm
Yes definitely Jon! I am not technical enough to understand what is going on so solving this puzzle will be cool. I forget what actual cable it is but do know its very low capacitance.

No soz I don't have a multimeter!

Edited by dillon - 01 Feb 2018 at 2:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic