FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Voices In My Head

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 7:32pm
Hpw did you know I was wondering if anyone had used my corny device name before? Yes Hafler resistor is a quite good name for the ground lift, makes me think of the inductors I used for surround speakers wired across the left and right channels. Way before Pro Logic and digital AC3, etc. etc.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 8:03pm
Yes, way before... Amstrad called it Quadrasound on their IC2000 Mk4 in 1972, and it made the amp sound so much better (otherwise it was Censored).

There were also fun devices to play with in broadcast such as M+S stages, which stands for mono and stereo where the mono is L and R summed and stereo is L - R obtained by summing +L with -R, or as they prefered to call it A and B. Obviously (to some) this is the way FM is transmitted where the mono signal is needed for transistor radios and the stereo is on the "upper deck" (above 19kHz I think?) which a stereo receiver decodes, and so on...

Then there were all sorts of stereo width controllers which do similar to the Hafler idea, going from mono through stereo to extra-wide stereo, using varying degrees of negative and positive crosstalk, and in most cases requiring a 4-gang pot.

The temptation is often to use spin-offs of such things to gain a sensational sound in ones products but these days reviewers have easier access to analytical test gear. Apart from the crossfeed Voyager experiment I have never used any of these tricks.

Oh, and don't get me started on the atmospheric way-out sounds obtained by bandwidth limiting (sine waves become sawtooth) or by operating amps in their unstable region, and there was once a phono stage in which 50Hz hum magically disappeared, and so did 50Hz signal because it had a sharp notch filter. Audiophiles just loved the sound of massive LF phase shifts...

A lot of these gimmicks were used during the early 80s when many a reviewer stopped using test gear and reviewed solely by ear, and such manufacturers made great financial gains from it.

But not me.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 8:42pm
I'm not sure where I picked up that L-R with inductor idea, probably from a good friend's dad, a postman who built speaker cabinets and tinkered with stereos/hifi. Also he was a great jazz drummer!

You will know I meant before analogue channel steering and discrete digital channels not the quad era. BTW I use my main ribbon mike to pick up the side signal sometimes rather than crossed mikes and I do mix middle and side.

Back to topic it is a gimmick I agree but harmless fun. Sound engineering and repeatable measurements is why your gear consistently delivers Graham.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I have had another listen to the 'Can Opener'and am still enjoying the novelty of the wider sound stage. I will send you it Dil in the next week if I can.

All fascinating stuff Jon and co. Yups cheers, I need to hear your DIY can opener.
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 7:42am
I must admit I've hardly listened to it due todoing other things and must get it out to you this week.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 8:38pm
I've had good feedback from Dillon since he's had the Can Opener and thought that I should make another for myself. I bought a couple of the stereo headphone splitters Maplin sell (adaptor with 1/4 inch stereo jack plug connected in parallel to two 1/4 inch stereo sockets) and opened one up with a modelling knife. My idea is to have a wide and very wide option.

If anyone is interested I'll post photos but if you have the right tools you probably know what to do already!

Jon

Gidders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gidders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

If anyone is interested I'll post photos but if you have the right tools you probably know what to do already!

Yes please Jon :)
Gidders
---------
LP12/Ittok/Lingo/Gram Amp 2 SE/L*nn Klimax Renew DS
GS Solo ULDE/PSU1/HD800
Naim 82/HiCap/250
Kudos Cadera 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic