FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hi to all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
izafireman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izafireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi to all
    Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 5:08pm
Not sure if I have found the correct area to introduce myself but here goes. I shall paste the introduction I did last night in order to join.

My name is Pete and I used to be a fireman before being retired at the age of 47 for health reasons , hence my user name. The reason I have joined the forum is to hopefully gain more appreciation and understanding regarding my system and how I can expand on my listening experience.
The system I have was never planned as such and chopped and changed over the years due to me buying ''blind'' or due to poor advice, but hey , we have all been there I bet. Luckily I am now dealing with a great guy in my area who I have know for years and trust .....infact he has my turntable as I type and servicing it so I am chomping at the bit waiting!

So the system I have is as follows.
Pink Triangle Export , probably the least used ever in existence as for many years it was boxed up whilst I was in the RAF. The tone arm is a Moth arm which I believe was sold as ''Another Moth Arm'' which is actually a Tabriz with no markings , this arm is currently being re-wired from the original.

I have had two cartridges over the years, Goldring 1022 which I liked and a then a Grado Reference Platinum which I needed smelling salts for ....sorry Grado owners but it wasn't my cup of tea as so laid back. I am now having the cartridge changed to a Dynavector 10x5 .

The amp and pre amp I own are Audio Analogue Bellini and Donezetti which although many years old are like new as once again were boxed up most of their lives to. Now at last I have my components set up as such and settled and I have added a dedicated 4mm ring main and separate earth and upgraded my speaker cables along with interconnects and system mains cables. Finally my speakers are Quadral Aurum Altans which I must say I love.

So now the reason I am here.
There is no doubt I haven't heard the best from the Pink and other components and I could ''squeeze out'' more with a better arm but before that upgrade I am pretty sure a better option would be a decent phono stage as I am relying on the one in my pre-amp at the moment, which I am guessing is not the best option.

I suppose my listening experience at the moment is somewhat limited as some of the tracks I played (be it with the Grado cartridge I had, as still need to hear the Dynavector) were Ok, but others were lacking to say the least. I am afraid I am not the best with words but although some tracks drew me in and sounded like more room was bigger than it was , sounds were above, to the side and above the speakers but other tracks sounded like they were below the level or the speaker height and I found myself sliding down the sofa in order to listen to them. Hopefully that description will make sense.

So will a phono pre amp make a big difference and if so which one would compliment the components I have?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 5:21pm
Hello and welcome.

You have a good front end with the PT & arm.

What you describe re the low soundstage sounds either like the sound needs opening up Component or cables and or perhaps the speakers need tilting back or raising a little?

I am sure you will find other sound advice and some very good phono stages (and more) here.
Richard
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 5:22pm
In terms of the phone stage this will depend on your budget as they appear to get simply better the highe up,the range you travel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izafireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 5:28pm
Hi Richard , not sure but I would expect a minimum of £400 - maybe £600 but the upper limit would depend on if the difference in price made a huge difference. With regards to the cables, the speaker cables are Nordost White Lightning (I think) , interconnects are audio quest but I connect remember the exact ones. Mains cables , once again I cannot remember but they have NRG printed on them, afraid the boxes they came in are in the loft ((

The speakers are level and yes I thought they might need tilting back. They were around 2 inches higher but I had to lower the stands. I thought the low sound stage might also be due to how the recordings were originally made as some albums are ok.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by izafireman - 10 Jun 2017 at 5:48pm
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 8:25am
Hi Pete, welcome to the forum.
You have some quite decent kit there. I spent many happy years listening to my Audio Analogue Maestro CD player, Bellini preamp and Maestro monoblocks (all 90s vintage). The weakest part was the phono stage, which I replaced with firstly a Fanfare then Genera, then my current Reflex M ( +AT150).
The Audio Analogue kit is now retired and replaced with a Majestic and DIY "Gainclones" (pending Proprius replacements ).
Based on this I would recommend you try a Reflex from the loan programme and see how you get on.
The loan programme is run by Fatmangolf aka Jon, just drop him a PM and he'll let you know what's available and when.

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izafireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 9:12am
Hi Ian

Thanks for the reply.
Yes my Bellini / Donisetta are from around 2001 I think, maybe just before. I did have the capacitors changed around 3 years ago as they had dried. After looking at the phono stages again I saw the Reflex and will contact Jon when my Pink returns in a couple of weeks. I know they chap who is serving it for me likes the Dynavector phono stage very much and I was looking out for a second hand mark 2 version. I was also trying to find out more about the new Arcam phono stage also. But that was before I decided to spen a couple of hundred £s more if it got me better results and of course before I found Graham's forum.

Pete
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 7:44pm
Welcome to our community Peter. Please feel free to PM when you are ready.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic