FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Transistor Matching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 1:39pm
Ok, admission of guilt! Don't know if it is senility or the red wine but I my facts were wrong in my first post. 
It is not the quiescent current that was different left and right but the output dc voltages. Big difference!
The q current is indeed set by a trimmer and is to spec, the dc on the outputs are however 60 and 110 mV.
The amp was built and working 18 months ago and I put on my memorised to do list finding the reason for this difference. I thought it could be due to different Vbe of the LTP transistors, and that matching a pair would be the answer.
How 18 months changed that to current in my brain, I don't know why. Apologises everybody.
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 11:55am
60mV develops 0.45mW into 8 Ohms. 110mV develops 1.5mW into 8 Ohms. I don't think it of any real consequence.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 7:47pm
Yes true, I guess I am just being anal to want them in balance.
Peter
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 9:23pm
It is probably the difference between the VA amp hFEs on each channel that is loading one LPT more than the other. I would have expected another trimmer to null the offset?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 10:09pm
Sadly no other trimmers.

Peter
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 8:42am
T6,7 being a darlington configuration won't be loading the LTP much at all.

Correcting what I said earlier, there is no bias transistor because this is a MOSFET output stage which has a negative temp. co. so it won't go into thermal runaway like a BJT output stage. The BJT uses a bias transistor thermally connected to the output devices (sometimes in a rather particular way) such that temp. co.'s cancel, preventing thermal runaway. This design simply uses the resistance of a trimmer but with zenner protection in case it turns the output devices both on.
JardCrocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JardCrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 4:24pm
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge test does not need to be very accurate, just repeatable by using the same tester under the same conditions. You will get the same test result repeatedly with the same device.< style="display: none;" id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" -install-updates-user-configuration="true" -sups-flavor-configuration="true" -extension-version="0.5.0.161">

Edited by JardCrocker - 06 May 2022 at 9:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic