FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

5V 3A PSU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 56>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 7:56pm
One will be built, and I will take photos of it, but there's a bit of a struggle right now, because only John C is allowed to do all the casing up of products currently in production, and there are over 200.

This being due to social distancing, and not having any tests for asymptomatic infection, although we are all well, we don't know if we've had it, got it, or what day it is!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 8:56pm
I may pay out for more than one of these to have the option of 5V or 12V. I wasn't that interested in the beginning but I am now beginning to conclude that my source is now the biggest bottleneck of the system. Whether digital or analogue, the microsignal domain is the stage most susceptible to electromagnetic interference. I need to eliminate all fans and HDD/moving parts, have a metal case, remove wifi and have at least one dedicated power supply. Oh, and an Enigma PSU for the Majestic.

If I do go for a Smyth Realiser A16 for spatial rendering for MySphere, I would request a 12V version of the PSU.

Edited by Ash - 29 May 2020 at 9:03pm
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 1:29pm
Like Ash, I’d be interested is a 12v supply to. My new Sonos source is a great improvement on the old Connect version and uses a 12v ofF board switch mode wall wart. Wondering what a good quality linear supply would do for the sound.

I’d also like to try a 5v on the RPi streamer.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 8:28pm
Raspberry Pi and HAT - 5V
MiniDSP 2x4 HD - 12V
Smyth Realiser A16 - 12-15V

Typical computer motherboard and basic peripherals - ???V

If you could go higher than 12 and provide something that can power a PC, that would also be of interest to me. If not, I will have to go with something like the Raspberry Pi 4.

So many possibilities and options... I need to put weeks of research into this...

Edited by Ash - 30 May 2020 at 8:40pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 2:30pm
The only computers that I can find that use a 12V power supply are the industrial type of mini PC, most of which seem to come from China. Has anyone had any good experiences with this type? I like these designs because:

-EM shielding and passive cooling via metal chassis (no fans!) 
-Has 12V power adapter brick like a laptop so high voltage is not in same case as sensitive PC electronics
-Small size of case
-Have some of the older generations of Intel CPUs so noise performance may be better than the newer, more powerful generations
-Plenty of USB ports and some have optical output

Is optical/Toslink from a PC really any better than USB when you consider jitter and other problems in the digital domain? What about HDMI vs optical for sound quality? I read that HDMI has higher bandwidth so maybe I should not bother looking for a PC with optical output then? The Smyth Realiser A16 appears to be able to convert HDMI input to SPDIF output so I can connect my Graham Slee electronics to it. Although without optical, directly from a PC, I am limited to just USB as coaxial is never featured on motherboards.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 2:47pm
I like the look of this, as an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dkL62oMHdI

Edited by Ash - 01 Jun 2020 at 2:47pm
Delfalex View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 10:54am
I myself would love to have an 18-24V (<1Amp) in addition to the 5V, so that it could sit underneath and power both my Bitzie (Lautus power) & Voyager Tongue

Alex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 56>
  Share Topic