FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

5V 3A PSU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 56>
Author
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:58pm

For a short while now I haven't been able to listen to any music. However over the last couple of days I have been able to get back to it and have been surprised that there have been some noticeable changes to the sound I am getting. I can only put this down to the fact that the PSU is now reasonably well burnt in. I have now had the power supply for just under four weeks. As a result I thought I had better make a second report to those of you that are interested.

As you know, I was very impressed with the improvement in sound that I was getting with the new PSU which now powers my Squeezebox Touch (see my first report above). Before it was very detailed and had improved the bass and general musicality. Now however I am surprised to find that whilst retaining all its past benefits I am in addition getting a fullness, depth, improved balance and a greater feeling of ambience and location in the music. The sound has a greater cohesion and naturalness. It is to some extent less analytical than it was which applies over a whole range of music.

Most music, even from older vintage recordings sound more natural. I have heard some Ella Fitzgerald and Etta James that have improved greatly. Newer recordings have a presence and a silence which puts you amongst the music which has in turn improved the sound stage. It is very hard to explain but if you hear it I'm sure you would immediately notice the difference. In some recordings it is as if, because of the naturalness in the sound, some elements of the music have become less prominent and have taken a more natural place in the general balance. Because of this I believe that my music has taken on a sound that is, unbelievably, even more musical than it was.

As you will appreciate all of this is very subjective and subtle but was very noticeable to me when I returned to my hi-fi after not listening to it for over a week. As I've said before I cannot vouch for the effect that it would have on other pieces of equipment but I can say I thoroughly recommend it for the Squeezebox Touch. I can also say that for me it is worth every penny that it will cost. I intend to have two of the finished versions. One of them will be for my speaker system in the lounge, and the other for my bedroom headphone system which also uses a Squeezebox.

'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 7:18pm
Phil this is what I have tended to find with cable burn in; the sense of integration and naturalness.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:18pm
Thanks Phil, great to hear how much you are enjoying it. For those of us looking for this performance boost including myself, I must comment that good things come to those who wait. Approve

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 10:51pm
Any news?
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:05pm
Progress? Embarrassed
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 3:00am
Just awaiting Phil to tell me if the inclusion of the resettable output fuse has made any difference to the music. In a short test when John fitted the fuse Phil said he couldn't tell any difference, but I'd like him to tell me/us if after a longer session if he can hear any difference.

The resettable fuse is there so I can fit a crowbar circuit on the output to open the fuse in the event of the power supply voltage going over-voltage (faulty), as I would not want to be sued for the cost of replacing the equipment being used with it.

The first attempt at overvoltage protection used series MOSFETs but their on resistance didn't do any favours to the sound, and the driver chip also detected under-voltage and when the load pulled current the voltage dip triggered it which shut Phil's Squeezebox down. He was rather frustrated by that.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 5:59pm

Hi folks, it has been just a short while since John fitted the resettable fuse. I would have got back to Graham a little earlier but for the fact that my computer has been playing up and will be going back to the Apple workshop to be checked next Monday. As a result I have only been able to play my music intermittently. I have however managed to clock up a few hours of listening.

As I've mentioned in previous posts the PSU has made an enormous difference to the sound of my hi-fi. Especially when you compare it to the standard power supply provided with the Squeezebox Touch. The overall sound has very noticeably improved in all areas. The bass is deeper, detailed and more vibrant. The top and midrange has become more natural and is again very detailed and musical. To my mind there has been no deterioration or difference in the sound quality since the resettable fuse has been fitted. The sound is fantastic and is now better than it has ever been!

'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 56>
  Share Topic