FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

5V 3A PSU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 56>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5V 3A PSU
    Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:22am
Currently in development in my workshop is a new power supply. It is a 5 volt 3 amp unit and because it is single voltage and uses a proper transformer, it is not legal to sell it in the European single market or in some states in the US (and maybe Australia?).

Actually that just spoiled my intro, realising that you could only benefit by it by buying it on the sly. But anyway, if you look up my surname (Slee) you should find it's a derivation of sly... Wink

How could you benefit by it? Good question: one of our senior members reckons he will benefit by it because he instigated the process - namely msphil (hi Phil!). He wants it for his Squeezebox Touch, and on hearing about this another senior member (Fatmangolf) became interested (there, I spilled the beans... Wink)

I must admit that this has been on my pile of things to do since 2015, and poor old Phil must be losing patience by now (Wink) and so to restore his faith I decided to write about its progress here.

Yesterday I did all the workings out and ordered up the remaining parts required. What took longer than I thought was working out a little extra feature I consider essential for a 5V supply...

Logic/digital chips run on 5V (and some on 3.3V), and it would seem like many devices, this might not use any intermediate regulation (other than if 3.3V is required) and relies on the 5V from its supply being a good stable 5V.

If you were to try supplying a 5V circuit from say a 12V supply what would happen? Well, if the device has no overvoltage detection built-in, it would break!

One good thing about the EU, is it thought about things like this, and legislated on it, but in an abstract way. Now, in Yorkshire we have a reputation of calling a ***** a ***** (political correctness prevents me from using the actual word here).

Because of the abstract way the legislation is formed, manufacturers of such devices may not have understood what it means, and so I have to assume they didn't, and put into the power supply what they may not have done at their end.

And that is overvoltage protection such that if part of the power supply failed and decided to output more than 5V, it will shut down and prevent catastrophic destruction of the device it is powering.

When making power supplies for ones own products this is not an issue, but making an aftermarket power supply one needs to think about such things.

Anyway, after much frustration (the world seems to be getting that way these days) I was able to find/decipher what I was looking for in the form of a chip and external MOSFET required to perform the action.

So, it should comply in that respect, but it is still against legislation to actually sell it. However, by providing another output voltage, it becomes legal. And because nobody actually wants another output voltage - they just want the 5V - we can make that voltage anything we want, and it makes sense to use a voltage which appears somewhere in the circuit. And so I will designate a pin on the output connector as one of those. Hey presto! It then complies!

More on its progress shortly.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:19am
Bitzie users can also rejoice then? I could use this together with the Lautus powerwire product to provide a lift in performance.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:26am
This PSU could be an upgrade for Raspberry Pi users as well. The Digi + Pro and DAC+ Pro convertor boards for the RPi need 5V and 3.3V supplies. If this is within the scope, then would you please add me to the list for a unit.
I have previously LM723N based regulators with BD140 as "output" device for (higher) current capability. These sounded quite good, but didn't have the benefit of professional design and measurement, which I'm sure your PSU will benefit from and therefore be a significant improvement.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:34am
A regulator is a regulator is a regulator...

Will my choice sound better? I would doubt that. They're all much of a muchness, and all seem to have very similar specifications. I know great claims are made by little firms who make power supplies, especially when using adjustable types. I read somewhere where Mr Ahem of Such and Such Co made a big meal of his discovery that using a 10uF capacitor between the adjust pin and ground made a huge improvement, and his fanbase loved him for it. I had to laugh - it's on the device's data sheet, and has been since they first came out sometime in the late 70s. I remember using the same technique in the 1980s.

What does make a difference however, is the layout: the grounding regime and the charging current lengths and impedances of path. Let's hope I get that bit right...

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

A regulator is a regulator is a regulator...

Will my choice sound better? I would doubt that.

What does make a difference however, is the layout: the grounding regime and the charging current lengths and impedances of path. Let's hope I get that bit right...

Add to the layout considerations the choice of the most appropriate components, then you have the reason why your design might well sound better.

I'll watch with interest how this develops and ultimately hope to benefit with a new PSU.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

This PSU could be an upgrade for Raspberry Pi users as well. The Digi + Pro and DAC+ Pro convertor boards for the RPi need 5V and 3.3V supplies. If this is within the scope, then would you please add me to the list for a unit.

5V and 3.3V at the same time? OK, that's the other output then.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:20pm
5V 2.5A + 3.3V 500mA would suit my needs, don't know what others may need.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 56>
  Share Topic