FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Vinyl Me Please - Record Clubs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
itsmanhattan View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsmanhattan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl Me Please - Record Clubs?
    Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:49pm
Does anyone have any experience and know of any good record clubs?

I joined http://www.vinylmeplease.com/ a couple of years ago and enjoyed it at first, but recently have been disappointed with the record selection - are there any others out there?
jango View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:44pm
Looks like this was posted quite awhile ago. Are you still a member? I've been one for almost three years and have been very happy. Not every Album of the Month is my cup of tea, ie Clipse, but they're so flexible about swapping that it's worked out well for me. The Classics releases have been pretty stellar too.
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 10:50pm
I see this is an older post and the thread is not active, but I thought I’d add my opinion.

I was a member for a few months, recently, but every record I received had quite a bit of surface noise. They were very good at trying to resolve my issues, but every replacement had a lot of surface noise. I canceled my subscription.
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 2:42am
That sounds very frustrating. I don't like automatic shipments and such so I never tried VMP. I did notice they were doing some higher quality releases with name mastering engineers, either as part of their monthly club or a special section for members. I was tempted to try one from their store but when I asked about shipping and they told me media mail was the only option I said forget it. I don't trust media mail anymore for the most part, stuff goes through system, takes too long and it seems the longer USPS has a package the more likely it is to be damaged. So until they can get their stuff together to offer Fedex or UPS shipping I will likely never buy a single thing from them. 

Do you know what pressing plants were making those noisy LPs for VMP? My understanding is that they work with several plants. 
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 1:08pm
Hi David - No, I don't know what pressing plants were used for the noisy LPs. There is no indication on the jackets or record and their website doesn't have the information. 

It's really a shame because they put a lot of work into the final product packaging (record covers, art, booklets, etc.), but the vinyl being noisy kind of defeats the purpose.
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Pwog Pwog wrote:

Hi David - No, I don't know what pressing plants were used for the noisy LPs. There is no indication on the jackets or record and their website doesn't have the information. 

It's really a shame because they put a lot of work into the final product packaging (record covers, art, booklets, etc.), but the vinyl being noisy kind of defeats the purpose.

The matrix info in the deadwax of the LPs should give a clue. If you post the numbers and letters we can try to decode them. I actually talked with someone that is still a member and they said they had surface noise on some albums also and had to exchange them. They said a lot of the noisy vinyl was pressed by GZ. GZ is a very hit or miss plant IME. I have some records from them that are pressed very well and others that are not so hot. Had a fair amount of records I had to return from them also. 
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 10:29pm
Ha, silly me. I looked at the matrix info in the dead wax, but thought I needed a catalog or book to look them up. I never thought about Googling the information or Discogs, duh!

Well, I did just that and guess what, the noisy vinyl was pressed at GZ!
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic