FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mark Audio Sale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:22am
Yeah, I guessed that by adding fixed resistance, the level will be reduced so won't really get much more out of them. I'm glad I asked. I didn't realise the impedance was as low as that. I don't want to be more or less shorting the Bitzie or Proprius outputs. Although the Proprius pot will be down low, adding quite a bit of fixed resistance to the output.

Graham, what was that Bitzie distortion? A warning sign that the output impedance is too low and too much current is being drawn?

I obviously then kept the dial at 2 o'clock or less and the Alpair 5 sounded really good. Very clear neutral and tonally accurate sound. Not much bass but only listened without a baffle or box so far.

Edited by Ash - 02 May 2017 at 9:31am
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
KJFAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJFAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 7:20am
3.6 ohm is the average RE.

Likely much to low for a headphone amp, hopefully Graham will be along to give you advice on his specific amp. If you just added padding you'd likely reduce the distortion but also reduce the level.
UK/EU dealer for Mark Audio Drivers and Manufacturer of speaker kits
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 8:12pm
The Bitzie is able to drive the Mark Audio Alpair 5 Gen 2 speaker pair directly, to a more or less adequate listening level for earspeaker and close proximity listening.

Stefan, what is the impedance/resistance of the Alpair 5 Gen 2?

Graham, I know I'm using the Bitzie outside of its intended purpose by driving a pair of small speakers with it but... beyond the 2-3 o'clock position on the Bitzie pot, distortion (compressed dynamic range) creeps into the playback so I can't use it any further clockwise. Is this problem due to the low impedance of what is being driven? My K1000 can play without distortion fully clockwise. Do I need to add in a fixed resistor of about 100 Ohms (or less??) on each channel.

(I will also try connecting them through a pair of Proprius and get back to you)

Edited by Ash - 01 May 2017 at 8:17pm
Wiscos View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiscos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:42am
Sounds a really interesting idea... Good luck with the experiment!
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:09pm
Finally took the time to order a pair of Alpair 5 Gen 2 in grey. I look forward to hooking them up to the Bitzie and having a listen. Stefan, if it's next day delivery, could you hang on to them and dispatch them on Tuesday so I am here to receive them on Wednesday?
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 11:51pm
I'll have to hold the speakers out in front of my ears whilst they're playing and see if they sound promising. If so, I would have to make a simple headband for them or sew fixtures into a beanie hat or something to suspend them out in front of my face. It could be a useful listening reference for setting up the bigger MA drivers out in the room, which will be worth looking silly for. I'm not going back to conventional headphones as there is no further progress to be made down that route.
KJFAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJFAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

I suppose I better allocate some time to go over there and make another order before Friday. I do have enough speaker drivers already but I get really greedy when it comes to hoarding cutting edge audio electronics (GSP) and transducers (MA) that I probably won't be able to resist the temptation.

Is Mark designing any more drivers at the current time or is he focussing on his health?

And I do want to buy a 10MAOP pair at some point. It's expensive I know but I want to try a cone material with a different emittance characteristic. I trust MA highly to produce a well engineered product that justifies its cost.

Yes Mark is designing drivers but nothing up for new release soon. His health has taken some time obviously as has his new Sota range of finished speakers.

Ash if you build those Alpair 5 headphones and come over here and let me do a photo shoot of you, I'll give you a permanent 10% voucher code!

Stefan
UK/EU dealer for Mark Audio Drivers and Manufacturer of speaker kits
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic