New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hello from Bill Beauregard in New Hampshire & a Q.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hello from Bill Beauregard in New Hampshire & a Q.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wbeaureg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbeaureg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Bill Beauregard in New Hampshire & a Q.
    Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:19am
Hello all,
 As a new member, I've begun by browsing the forums, and have appreciated your experience, knowledge and expertise. 

As a long time trumpet player, I'd enjoyed my collection of vinyl and CDs, comprising mostly a range of jazz, fusion and classical, on a system comprising Adcom separates, Cambridge Soundworks towers, and consumer grade CD player and turntable. Making a longer story short, the Adcom and turntable failed and the CSW moved into a home theater system; so, it was a kind offer from an audiophile friend to audition his sweet vintage system in storage (listed below that I am likely to acquire) and researching a replacement for my broken turntable that led me to the Stereophile Fall 2016 recommendations and then to a review of the Reflex M that got me here.

While I'm still auditioning turntables, I'm now inclined toward the Accession for its sonic prowess and ability to facilitate rips. As for interconnects, it seems, in the trade-off between minimizing interconnect length and better sonic properties that the 1.5m Lautus might have an edge in clarity and bass response over the .6m CuSat50, given what users have reported. I've tried to do my homework by reading the CuSat and Lautus descriptions, the Interconnects forum and external reviews to appreciate the technology distinctions and recommendations. I also read about the loaner program. 

If I might pose a few Lautus configuration questions: while I understand why the minimum Lautus length is 1.5m, I wonder how Lautus users deal with the extra length if their components are close together, a shelf apart? Cable length may be a bit of a trade-off for me because the system is on a wood wheeled cart for flexibility in speaker placement in a multi-purpose room. However, the sound is the first priority. 
  • I saw the maximum Lautus bend is 150mm. Is there any issue with coiling each cable's excess length in its own 150mm+ diameter coil and securing it with a velcro strap or do the cables need to be allowed to stretch their length? 
  • Do the interconnects need to kept away from the power cables? 
  • Would the weight of the coiled cable stress the connections of its RCA plugs? 
(The system is a Mark Levinson 38S preamp & ML 23.5 amp w/ balanced interconnects, a pair of B&W Matrix 802 series 2 + stands + bi-wire cables, and a Theta data series II Universal Transport & ​Theta DS Pro Generation III DSP w/ AT&T ​TOSLINK interconnect.)

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Cheers,
Bill

Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 6:30am
Personally if I could manage with 0.6m I wouldn't go for something over twice the length whether cooked or not.

I have no experience of the Lautus though the Cusat is good.

I would suggest that the interconnects would be best kept away from mains and also the PSU which can cause hum if really close. Conventional wisdom is for cables to cross at right angles.

Hope this helps

Richard
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 7:54am
Originally posted by wbeaureg wbeaureg wrote:

• I saw the maximum Lautus bend is 150mm. Is there any issue with coiling each cable's excess length in its own 150mm+ diameter coil and securing it with a velcro strap or do the cables need to be allowed to stretch their length? 
  • Do the interconnects need to kept away from the power cables? 
  • Would the weight of the coiled cable stress the connections of its RCA plugs?

Hi Bill, good to have you here.

The Lautus "science" has never been proved by measurement because there isn't any measurement for what it does, but we found it to sound "more real" and so did others, so it could be worth the hassle.

1. The hassle being, as you noted, its minimum length. 1.5 metres (5 foot approx.) is a lot of cable to lose, and it just doesn't fit into a tidy world.

Coiled cables become inductive - a couple of examples: coiled up power cables can get hot but less so when unwound; coiled cables pick up signals - that's how metal detectors work.

Is there a way it could take "the long route" at the back of your cart?

2. All wires have a surrounding magnetic field and so two cables running parallel to each other will share their magnetic fields. Shielding reduces the effect of the power cable but doesn't remove it fully. Cables crossing at 90 degrees cause the least problem.

3. The RCA plugs fitted are the type which tighten by turning their barrels clockwise, so there will be no stress on the connection. But the weight has caused some of our products to adopt a "wheelie" attitude.

My advice is to contact BAK (Bruce) and ask to loan one and see how you go. Bruce is a great caring guy who just loves to be helpful. And at the same time why not ask to try the shorter CuSat50?

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

[QUOTE=wbeaureg]

My advice is to contact BAK (Bruce) and ask to loan one and see how you go. Bruce is a great caring guy who just loves to be helpful. And at the same time why not ask to try the shorter CuSat50?

I personally prefer the sound of the CuSat50 but because I don't need long lengths of connection cable I find it works really well and produces a fantastic sound. These are great cables and sound better than much more expensive options.
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:26pm
Welcome aboard Bill. Agree with above: shorter analogue better, from 1.5m Lautus even better than Cusat.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:25am
Welcome to the GSP Audio Forum Bill !
Contact me if I may be of assistance.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
wbeaureg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbeaureg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 6:31pm
Thank you, all for the advice. Thank you Bruce for the offer, I'll contact you offline. Best, Bill
ML 38S preamp & 23.5 amp > bi-wired B&W Matrix 802 series 2 + stands. Sources: Theta data series II Universal Transport >DS Pro Generation III DSP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic