FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has NOT impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by TheScorpionsTale TheScorpionsTale wrote:

Oh dear, sorry to hear that, Jon. Unfortunately there is a tendency for the music industry to scrape up anything and everything indiscriminately, especially if there is a perceived completist market. Sound quality at live music venues is notoriously poor in my experience. I wonder who recorded it for what purpose if it's been lying around for 44 years? (I'm assuming it hasn't been released before.) If the band's performance is good though, try not to give up on it straight away, you may find it becomes more listenable with familiarity.
I have got hold of the seller and it's on it's way back to them, they told me I'm not the first one that's not impressed with it, so they had a listen to it them self's and they can see why and have stoped selling it.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 4:12pm
Good.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Good.
I got an email from the seller today and they said they have been told there are more recordings of that concert and they would let me know when they get hold of it if it's any good.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 4:49pm
[/QUOTE]
I have got hold of the seller and it's on it's way back to them, they told me I'm not the first one that's not impressed with it, so they had a listen to it them self's and they can see why and have stoped selling it.
[/QUOTE]

That bad? Sorry to hear, but well done the seller for responding as they did. Whilst posting my previous I was wracking my addled brain to recall a CD I'd had of a dreadful live performance. It's since come back to me what it was. I was given, as a promo item by the CD production company (this was in connection with work), a copy of the Fleetwood Mac box set Madison Blues. One of the CDs carried a live performance, which stood out for all the wrong reasons. The sound quality was OK, but the performance seemed to be by a band which couldn't be bothered. The whole thing came across as sloppy and lazy, and included a totally unnecessary three minute rant by Jeremy Spencer pretending to be Elvis Presley, which felt like three hours. It soon went to a charity shop.
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 5:03pm
I know it's only one but it has made me weary or at lest made me think more about buying live recordings whether on CD or Vinyl, That said I do have two other CDs of live recordings by Blondie and they are both vary good, but it's the old "once bitten twice shy" syndrome that's got to me.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 5:57pm
Genesis: Foxtrot (remaster CD)

What did they remaster it with? A blunt stick?! Were they on LSD?

The flute at the beginning of "Apocalypse in 9/8 (Co-Starring the Delicious Talents of Gabble Ratchet)" doesn't sound like a flute, or perhaps a highly distorted copy of a recording of a flute. When I say distorted, I mean breaking up as the sound of fluff on a stylus...

Ah! is that what they used as master? Played perhaps on a Dansette?

Compared with my well battered vinyl, the flute is disgusting - perhaps there's a word that describes it better without using curse words?

It reminds me of Mark and Lards Classic Cuts...

"Is it hard to get hold of?" "in that condition, yes"
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 6:54pm
Disappointed or disgusted?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic