FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Achieving High Fidelity Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 28>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 12:15pm
Pink Faun USB bridge finally arrived today. Two embedded x86 computers, various PCIe adapters and a DAK 5V 3A LPSU are already here. Waiting for Bitzie and Powerwire then we'll see what a simple USB streamer can really do! Photos soon (hopefully).
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 6:56pm
Thank you Ash.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2022 at 11:29pm
Hoping that I'm not already in "snake oil" territory with these externally powered PCIe bridges and 5V linear power supply. Not buying into the OCXO clock upgrades as the standard default clock on the cards is already high fidelity and the clock of the DAC matters just as much. Where I'm not an electronics expert, I could be being seduced by BS. Gonna find out either way.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Pink Faun USB bridge finally arrived today. Two embedded x86 computers, various PCIe adapters and a DAK 5V 3A LPSU are already here. Waiting for Bitzie and Powerwire then we'll see what a simple USB streamer can really do! Photos soon (hopefully).

That does not sound simple to me. Wink

I have a USB lead going from my Pc to my DAC.

I am interested to hear what differences you think the expensive USB bridge make. I have wondered about it myself, but I could not justify the price of a new one, and you hardly ever see them 2nd hand.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:14pm
What I'm curious about is what aspects of the transport actually matter. I assume you get to a certain point where you can't tell any difference anymore when you do comparisons between USB, coax, optical etc. Genuine i2s between PCBs (eliminate unnecessary conversion steps and cables) is surely the most potent input for a DAC chip but that would be a custom job. Modern computers seem to not be as electrically noisy as they used to so perhaps bridges and linear power supplies don't make as much difference nowadays as they would have done in the past.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:16pm
What is the source for your music?
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:32pm
That also needs to be addressed. I have a lot of CDs to rip for comparisons because youtube/streaming quality is generally inadequate unless the recording quality is outstanding. Nothing quantitative about the way I assess music; it's all based on whether I'm enjoying it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 28>
  Share Topic