FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Achieving High Fidelity Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 28>
Author
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 4:59pm
As an alternative viewpoint, I think with a fairly extreme bass-boost EQ curve - carefully devised to counteract the natural rolloff - it'll work.

At normal "loud" levels, that level of EQ will eat a lot of amp current, voice coil heating capacity, and cone excursion, but with nearfield listening as in this case only very low listening volumes are needed, so a surprising level of bass extension will be possible without these effects becoming significant.

As I may have mentioned before I have EQ including ~+20db at 20Hz on my second system. It works because the amp is not short of power, I listen at low levels, and most music has little in that region anyway. The result is sonically marvellous. But I'm well aware that if I turned it up with demanding music I would fry the bass drivers. So I don't. 
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 6:02pm
I stay in the nearfield low power domain otherwise the room takes over everything and you lose the purity of sound.

Instead of bass-boosting, I could shelf everything else down. I will be using the proximity effect a bit too. CHR-120 has a resonant frequency of 34Hz, which is pretty low. If I put them in suitably large cardboard boxes and only feed them 20-80Hz signals, I think they will do very well.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 10:52pm

The Alpair 10P are sounding really good on nearfield cardboard baffles. Brought a big cardboard box home from work yesterday and have cut it in half ready to mount two CHR-120 on each. DAK 5V 3A supply now powering the Pink Faun SPDIF soundcard. Spatia speaker cabling and DSP hardware are the only purchases left. I have a second Majestic/Enigma and Proprius pair for simultaneous listening comparisons; MySphere will show up everything that's wrong with the speakers. The speakers are clear and spatial but dynamically, they're nowhere near as flat as my headphone reference. It will be a long road to the goal.

Edited by Ash - 01 Sep 2022 at 10:52pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 4:58pm

Pi2AES-Lite arrived yesterday. Assembled it with my Pi3B+ today. Nice case fit and little rubber feet for the bottom of the case. Quite a big spacing between the Pi board and the HAT, probably to allow for more airflow and CPU cooling/heatsinking, especially with a Pi4B. Has optical and coaxial SPDIF, the optical port has no little door/shutter when not used, which is a bit unusual. Its casing has a fixture point to attach it to the acrylic case, which is unusual but welcome. The BNC is AES standard, which I won't use. The PI 5V is easily removable if I want to power Pi and HAT separately but the external 5V jack was omitted last minute so I have to do a little DIY to try external 5V, voiding my warranty in the process. So nice of them to just give up on that feature shortly before they ship the board... Angry I will make it work in my favour though. There is a hole in the acrylic case where I can insert cabling for external power. If I try covering the entire case in aluminium foil, for electromagnetic shielding, I would wire a wifi antenna from the module to the hole so I can control it headlessly. Four USB ports for flash drives or large capacity SSD. I will be able to test several things to see whether they are fact or fiction.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 5:29am
Anybody tried using thick-walled polystyrene boxes for speaker enclosures? Rigid enough to keep shape/structure, low mass and highly absorbant of sound energy. I just got the idea after looking at the MarkaudioSota Tozzi speaker enclosures. Hmmm... Big smile Can veneer it with something prettier if desired.

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 4:28pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 6:52pm
Got a secondary palm-sized PC with some pretty capable specs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 28>
  Share Topic