FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Achieving High Fidelity Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 28>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 2:57pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 4:50pm
It was just a suggestion.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 4:58pm
Yes, thanks, I've had a look at the datasheet and on-axis frequency response.

Also looking back at the CHR-120 datasheet and frequency graph, the lack of a dip in the ~400Hz region may be one reason why I preferred it to the 11MS. It is probably a more capable driver with PEQ applied.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 7:28pm
My speakers use these drivers https://www.monacor.com/products/components/speaker-technology/pa-coaxial-speakers-and-full-range-speakers-/sp-310cx/

Prior to getting them I used Frugelhorn 3s, loaded with Alpair 7s and in concert with a supertweeter with a 13KHz corner frequency on a 1st order filter.
It sounded very, very good, with the Alpairs, but they don't hold a candle to the current speakers.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:24pm
Comparing a 4" driver to a 10" inch driver here so the result doesn't surprise me. I never appreciated the small Mark Audio drivers like the Alpair 5 gen 2 and Alpair 7P. The larger CHR-120 thrashes them in every way (obviously).

Think I will trial a 5x CHR-120 per side system when I get the second Majestic-Proprius combo. The middle driver will be full-range whilst the four surrounding drivers will be for <80Hz support. Will possess enough power and air movement to achieve any kind of sound signature I want.

Edited by Ash - 04 Aug 2022 at 10:29pm
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 2:13pm
Getting the speakers to deliver <80Hz is going to be a challenge with those drivers.

Edited by CageyH - 05 Aug 2022 at 2:13pm
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 4:24pm
Well I will PEQ filter out everything above 80Hz for those four drivers and they will have their own Majestic and Proprius gain. High SPL not required as I will be fairly close to the speakers and the baffle will be big to accommodate all five cones.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 28>
  Share Topic