FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Achieving High Fidelity Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 28>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 12:22pm
Correction, "concert pitch"
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 6:37pm
Thanks for your responses. I am not in a rush to buy lots of drivers due to the high cost but I am trying to decide what type of speaker design would best satisfy my expectations. It is frustrating having something like MySphere 3.1 and trying in vain to reproduce that kind of fidelity with speakers but not being able to quite get there. I wish I had the skills to build a more advanced product.

I'm not using crossovers Graham. I was just pondering that all loads can have inductance and capacitance. It seems that inductors have the same series/parallel formulae as impedance/resistance. Capacitor series/parallel formulae are the opposite. What I'm trying to say is one coil can electrically affect another, before even considering the mechanical interactions of the cones.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 7:07am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

What I'm trying to say is one coil can electrically affect another, before even considering the mechanical interactions of the cones.

Yes it can, but perhaps the series parallel connection evens it out.

Did I ever tell you how I used to use 12" drive units in cardboard boxes when I was skint as a youth? Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 11:40am
No, but I'm happy to read about any speaker in cardboard box adventures. 
Wink

I like them because they are generally free or cheap. They are easy to cut and shape; just need scissors, penknife and postage tape. Low mass so don't store lots of acoustic energy so can rest them on a desk without any acoustic isolation underneath. I don't go for really large woofers as they are heavy, the moving mass is high and the profile is deep resulting in poor dispersion for non-bass frequencies. But I don't like really small drivers on their own either hence my suggestion of a speaker array with a mid-sized full-range driver; the moving mass per unit flux would be lower

I think I will see what DSP can do with a pair of CHR-120 wide-band full rangers, first of all. I really want to leave headphones behind as I like not having to wear anything on the head but MySphere 3.1 is the reference standard IMO. It is far above any headphone that isn't the K1000 and the out-of-the-box response of speaker drivers isn't remotely the same. Having MySphere as a listening reference is inescapable because just because I could set a speaker target curve flat and get it measuring flat, doesn't mean it will sound flat because ultimately the ears don't hear flat.

Edited by Ash - 04 Aug 2022 at 11:44am
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 11:45am
You will never get speakers to sound like headphones.
Accept this fact, and look for a happy compromise, and save yourself a lot of pain/money.

Alternatively, look at the Linkwitz(?) mini.
Amazing open sound, if you have the space.

Edited by CageyH - 04 Aug 2022 at 11:45am
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

You will never get speakers to sound like headphones.

Not with conventional thinking and conventional speaker design, no. I actually don't want a headphone sound; I only want a flat frequency response with speaker imaging from drivers that are fast enough to keep up. But a lot of attention to detail and R+D is needed for that to happen.

It's akin to trying to produce a solution without fully understanding the problem beforehand.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 12:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 28>
  Share Topic