FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Achieving High Fidelity Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 28>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 7:14pm
If you are using a low pass filter at 80 Hertz I suggest using dedicated woofers or sub-woofers, in fact you could have just one driver and enclosure fed by mixing left and right channels. You'll get the low bass to support the full range CHR120.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 11:06pm
I was going to sell my pair of Alpair 7P speaker drivers but I decided to give them another shot. Made some small cardboard open baffles for them today, screwed them in and have been listening with them for several hours. I had previously only used them alongside the 12PW woofer but this time, they are on their own. I am really impressed with this driver actually, as I generally don't appreciate smaller size drivers. However, for nearfield and super-nearfield listening distances at low to moderate volume to keep them within their dynamic limits, they are highly resolving and have a cool neutral timbre as the frequency response is pretty flat. I will photograph them soon and may actually keep them as they were less than £100. Low moving mass, shallow cone profile, neutral frequency response and an engaging listen when up close. The bass response is very impressive for a driver of this size, especially when listening at close proximity. I might keep these as my frequency reference and target signature so I can sell MySphere 3.1 and put all that money towards speaker equipment. I will happily not use headphones again as I like complete control over my driver positioning. No doubt I will be doing something nerdy and eccentric with them soon. Thinking of getting a couple of stands with long, flexible "goose necks" so I can elevate the speakers right in front of my ears at my desk position. This will basically eliminate room interaction so I will just be hearing the driver behavior.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 3:04pm

Alpair 7P are pretty darn good for a ~£100 spend. Gotta listen up close for deeper bass and won't handle aggressive music well at higher volume. Open-back cardboard baffle. Much better than pre-made crap of similar dimensions that looks fancy and luxurious but has mediocre driver technology.

Edited by Ash - 12 Aug 2022 at 3:06pm
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 5:09pm
I have a set of 7P in my FH3s.
I know their limitations. They don’t really do “bass” but the FH3 enclosures give a pleasing sound, although as you rightly say, aggressive/busy music is not their strong point.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 8:14pm
I compared the cardboard 7Ps to the cardboard CHR-120s and the difference, even for nearfield listening, is quite significant. After listening to the 7Ps for quite a while then switching, the CHR-120 imaging was larger and clearer and the bass presence was better but the sound was a little "choked up" and "slowed" in comparison, because of the elevated upper bass I think. The 7P had a "faster" cooler timbre and more neutral sound. CHR-120 compromises dynamic flatness for increased frequency bandwidth. This can be addressed with DSP to reduce the "warmth" of the tone. I will probably replace the 7P with a 10P (neutral tone) to help me adjust the CHR-120 by ear. I could try a 10P and 12PW combo against the CHR-120 in case they are a better choice. Comparisons of speaker drivers will be immediate and on-the-fly back-and-forth once I have a second Majestic-Proprius system. I will mute one and unmute the other to instantly hear the differences in tonal character. I could initially try minor adjustments in the PEQ without taking any measurements with a microphone. Will ultimately have MySphere connected as well so that I can judge how close the speakers are to an unsignatured sound.

I don't care too much about how the speakers measure, to be honest. I do all this for my musical enjoyment so as long as I create something resembling the MySphere sound character, it's a success IMO. I may have to keep MySphere for several years until speaker technology advances, much like I kept the K1000 for several years until the introduction of MySphere. Perhaps I should have studied sound engineering at university rather than pharmacology. If the "world" isn't going to improve dynamic speaker audio fidelity, maybe I should do it myself. I could look at planar magnetics I suppose but a lot of it is large floorstanding rather than small desktop. Electrostatics aren't for me; I'm not drawn towards high voltage stuff.

Shall look at the Mini Maggies again. It's not like high prices are mentally prohibitive anymore... Dead Perhaps I should opt for a speaker system that uses ribbons instead.

Edited by Ash - 12 Aug 2022 at 9:29pm
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 8:37am
Or look for professional studio monitors, rather than home audio speakers.

Kevin
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 8:42am
Something like the Yamaha HS5 is not going to break the bank.
See if you can find a supplier local, and see what they advise.
Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 28>
  Share Topic