FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Achieving High Fidelity Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 28>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:01pm
No.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:39pm
1980's: The only way UK companies could compete was in the price race to the bottom, so all subbed-out work went to the cheapest subby, which bankrupted those with the necessary ambitions to provide the future infrastructure the industry would require.

I should know - I was there!!

20 years later came the fabless manufacturer. Whether they wanted chips fabricated in the UK or not, they only had the one choice - communist (slave driven) China.

Much as I'd have liked to have designed lots of digital gear - ADCs as well as more DACs - it's a good job I didn't.

(For those who do not get it, there is an old saying about putting all your eggs in one basket. If a world pandemic were to strike that basket...)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 10:42pm
Thanks Graham. I intend to make another order with you soon. I'm just settling in to my new workplace first (I resigned from my old job) then I will return to my audio hobby. I have a pair of 11MS and a pair of CHR-120 Mark Audio drivers that I would like to use together eventually. CHR-120 as a deep bass woofer and the 11MS for everything above. I want to apply a simple crossover in the digital domain (for purity of signal) so need two DACs. Don't know how I'm going to implement a permanent XO yet.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 4:03pm
Bought an 8-plug extension cord yesterday for two Majestic, four Proprius, PC and soundcard. What order of current draw should I expect from such a system? Nowhere close to 13A I hope? I don't want to overload a single socket. I will not be using a high power PC but will be implementing the DAK 5V 3A supply and I will not be playing loud music. The speaker drivers are 7.2 Ohms each and might have two drivers in parallel which will drop the load below the minimum of 4 but will keep the Proprius dials down to maintain load stability and keep hiss inaudible.

Edited by Ash - 19 Jun 2022 at 4:11pm
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 5:55pm
It will be well below 13 amps.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 7:22pm
As I'm a cheapskate when it comes to speaker enclosures, I have been waiting weeks until a member of my family orders an item online that comes in a big sturdy double-walled cardboard box. Well, christmas came early this week; said box arrived and I seized it before it was broken down for disposal. I have cut it in half to form two strong open baffles ready to mount 11MS and CHR-120 on. I am thinking of having a full-range + woofer pair on it although I could mount two woofers top and bottom, with the full-range inbetween.

Any advantages of having two woofers rather than one? It will be for effortless low bass in the nearfield. Will the increased volume of air moved give a bigger sound or should I keep it simpler with one so I have less bass freq reflections? I want to keep the full-range near ear level so I can listen fairly on-axis although the negative camber cone gives a very wide dispersion and natural imaging. Want to keep woofers elevated from the desk as having one emitting at the desk will make getting a flat response more challenging.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 10:12pm

My latest cardboard creation. Open baffles with mono-suspension 11MS in the middle and CHR-120 full-range, top and bottom. Trying different combinations at the moment and different toe-in angles, different distances from face, different distances from back wall, different driver separation distance etc. I prefer listening to the top CHR-120 alone rather than the top and bottom connected in parallel. Great bass and dynamics; all the detail is there. A really fantastic driver and I look forward to how amazing it will eventually sound with further use and upgrades. I may select it over the 11MS if I decide to go with a single driver system rather than implementing multi-way with digital filters.

The superior dynamics and bass extension of the larger CHR-120 compared to the slightly smaller but spiderless and negative camber cone 11MS may cause me to go with the former, even though the 11MS should in theory have better impulse response and wider, more natural dispersion. I need to aim for a MySphere 3.1 -esque flat response with whichever driver I go with, so that I'm not constantly diving for the volume control.

Edited by Ash - 12 Jul 2022 at 10:28pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 28>
  Share Topic