FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Achieving High Fidelity Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 28>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 9:35pm
Fan noise is just one of 'artifacts' of trusting your home PC to deliver your music well. But I will persevere whilst admiring your quest and the single board systems other forum members have set up over the years...

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
mdnicke2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdnicke2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 12:35am
I (and my wallet) do appreciate knowing that going down the rabbit hole to chase the dragon is a common occurrence. One reason I’m looking into Graham Slee is I do want “endgame” pieces for a reasonable price.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 8:28am
I have used Graham's products for years and I consider the Majestic-Proprius combination to be among the best money can buy for listening enjoyment and critical listening, for digital sources. Product specifications and statistics have a lot in common; they can both be manipulated to give a false information. I have very limited trust in the entire industry.

If I were a primarily vinyl user, I would use a minimal AccessionMC-Proprius combination instead.

I prefer trying to adapt headphones to work with the Proprius rather than having a separate headphone amplifier. This is so I can either drive them symmetrical/balanced OR use the inverted phase from line-level, which I am led to believe avoids common mode distortion from being carried forward.

A sensitivity/impedance adapted MySphere 3.1 provides incredible sound quality with Graham's Majestic-Proprius but sadly costs more than the combo. I have no regrets though, despite the £7000+ expense. Cheap for cutting-edge technology, relatively speaking. I don't collect equipment, I sell on whatever doesn't provide the sound quality expected.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 3:56am
Ash, this thread is fascinating. As far as I can tell, you seem to have gone from headphone listener to speaker listener then back to headphones with the MySphere? Where have you landed?
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:15pm
I have never had an ideal environment for high fidelity speaker listening, therefore have been listening with headphones for a long time. The quest was always for a flat frequency response in order to achieve high resolution of detail and correct tonality and dynamics. I was seeking speaker spatial rendering from headphones as well though but eventually concluded that it was simply not possible without digital signal processing. Once single driver speaker technology developed enough in recent years (I quickly rejected multi-way designs), my expectations of both headphones and speakers looked set to "meet in the middle" at some point and I shifted to open baffle speakers for a while. Then headphone technology eventually progressed and MySphere was born to refine the K1000 concept with modern materials and manufacture. Like the K1000, the listening enclosure with MySphere is gone and you are listening in free space. But the binaural perception is not the same as speakers at a distance. Spatial DSP for headphones like Smyth Realiser A16 is so expensive at the moment so I am avoiding a purchase for now. Therefore MySphere and my mono-suspension Alpair 11MS speakers have yet to meet in the middle. But they are much closer than ever before, if implemented carefully.

Edited by Ash - 22 Sep 2020 at 8:25pm
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:16pm
Is flat frequency response something you measure or something you are able to tell just from hearing. A lot of audio people talk about various pieces of equipment being “flat” but I get the sense from your clear passion for achieving this that you actually know what it sounds like. I can tell when certain headphones are “not flat” so to speak, as in they have an obvious peak in treble or something. But after reading the trials and tribulations you have gone through in this search, I‘m thinking I have probably never heard truly flat frequency response. Do your ears just dislike anything unnatural sounding? I would say mine do too, but I probably just don’t have as sensitive or well-tuned hearing.

P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 11:29pm
I have no special hearing abilities and I do not measure frequency response objectively; I only judge by ear. However, I have slowly extrapolated what a flat response should sound like over the years based on comparing the sound characteristics of many headphones. I spoke to an experienced sound engineer named Graham Slee in 2012 where I transitioned from HD600 to HD250II based on advice and spent time listening to what was right and wrong with both of them. Sold HD600 as upper bass emphasis on my listening material. Wasn't completely satisfied with HD250II as midrange a little withdrawn and low bass could be resonant/overwhelming. Observed headphones from the manufacturer with similar design and found HD540. Tried HD540II and discovered improvement in that the midrange seemed correct despite low bass lacking weight. HD560II was a side-step so sold that as no improvement found. Eventually bought HD800 for comparisons with HD540II. Sound got better yet got worse as well. Bought K1000 on a gut feeling. It blew everything else out the water... Sold HD800. Recognised K1000 had slight mid-bass to low midrange emphasis compared to HD540II then sold HD540II. Kept K1000 and waited three years. Bought MySphere 3.1 blind based on gut feeling. Was disappointed and was going to return. Left it plugged into FM radio for a couple of days while I went to work and slept. Wow, what was I thinking?! No way I returning it! Compared to K1000, all the subtle improvements that were expected. Same sound but better. Music reproduction was finally brought back to normal. MS 3.1 kept and K1000 sold. And they lived happily ever after. The end. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 28>
  Share Topic