FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mm or mc high output cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 6:01am
I own a Technics 1200 mkII turntable, with stock arm. Good enough to tell the difference between the 2M Black and AT150ANV. Both MM and both incredibly good, but should be at the price.

However, they can't be making all that many because there is a world shortage of appreciative customers, so prices can only continue upwards.

The AT150ANV was intended as a limited edition "anniversary celebration" cartridge, but after 3 years, still being available (http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC0150ANV.html) and now $1,549.00, bears out my point.

£200 second hand? I wouldn't go there. It's not as if a damaged tip can be seen with the naked eye. Replacement styli cost nearly as much as the cartridge itself.

If the high output Denon DL110 MC sounds as good as the Denon DL103 (low output MC) I use, then take tg's advice: http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/denon-dl110-5

Not that I'm an MC fan. The DL103 was bought for test duties, and found to be so good that I think of it as a rather low output MM ... Wink

(which it obviously isn't)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
mateusz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mateusz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 8:54am
Thank you Graham. I don't know why, it's irrational, I don't want to buy Denon stuff. I never owned any or heard, but still.. So I won't consider it. Now I have to decide between Sae1000e mc and at150sa/mlx mm cartridge. Will buy new, or as close to new as possible (at150mlx). Kind regards
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by mateusz mateusz wrote:

PS I'm listening to your upload of Miles Davis on Vimeo through the tablet speakers and I have a goosebumps! :D so lovely.
Yes, that 10" re-issue does sound good doesn't it? Try and hear it through some full range hifi speakers - it'll be worth it (as the cosmetic advert (almost) says . . LOL)

BTW you have a PM.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
japtim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote japtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 8:13pm
Had an ortofon 2m black
Thought it sounded a bit slow and lacked sparkle
Went to a Hana sh high output MC ...was exactly what I wanted
You might be able to pick one up in your budget ??
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:34am
I would recommend the use of a 1k Ohm load plug when using a high output MC into a 47k Ohm MM input. The SPICE model using typical high output MC inductance and resistance shows a spike around 750kHz which often indicates a little oscillation in sympathy with the signal. It's never good having a circuit doing 'two jobs'.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 5:49pm
Is the loading plug you mention here the the type that TG 1st suggested all those years ago, well 6?

(edit)

.. and the thread that Fatmangolf has reopened....

Edited by ServerBaboon - 26 Nov 2017 at 8:00pm
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 3:43pm
Not wanting to answer for Graham here, but that article does make mention of using such a plug and 1K load with the HOMC DL110 cartridge.  Good to see Jon taking up with capacitance loading now in that same thread.

Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic