FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Majestic Connections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hippyeverafter View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hippyeverafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Majestic Connections
    Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:24pm
Hi everyone,

Have had the Accession, Solo Ultra Linear and Proprius for a little while now and could not be happier with the end result but i have a question. Seriously considering getting a Majestic DAC but what interconnects would i need and what what way would they be connected. Silly question i know but every time i look at the inputs/outputs on the Majestic cannot figure out how to do the connections. for your info as well i am using Graham Slee interconnects on all units. The reason for getting the DAC is at the moment my digital inputs are feeding a separate pair of Ruark powered speakers that sit next to my Dali Opticon 2 and would prefer to feed them instead of the Ruark ( Less clutter! ). Thanks.
Terry

"You pass life's shop once in your life so buy the best". Proprius, Accession, Solo Ultra Linear, Majestic, CuSat50 Interconnects, Spatia Cable, Thorens TD206, Ortofon Blue, Dali Opticon 2.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 4:59pm
The Majestic has 7 inputs:
3 Optical SPDIF
3 Cable SPDIF
1 Analogue
The analogue is generally used to take the input from a phono stage.
and 2 outputs:
variable level balanced via TRS jacks
fixed (or optionally variable) via phono sockets.

I think most of us use the balanced outputs to feed Proprius (other amps are available, I understand) and the fixed to feed a Solo, which of course has its own volume control.

Interconnects required are therefore Digital Coax and Optical fibre as necessary for digital inputs; 2 pairs of audio coax for the phono input and the fixed output to a headphone amp and a stereo pair of balanced to balanced or balanced to phono for connection to the power amps.

A conversation with John C might help in getting your requirements sorted, as he makes them.

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
hippyeverafter View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hippyeverafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:50pm
Thanks for the info BackinBlack. Think i now know the requirements regarding interconnects and may well order a Majestic and extra interconnects tomorrowApprove.
Terry

"You pass life's shop once in your life so buy the best". Proprius, Accession, Solo Ultra Linear, Majestic, CuSat50 Interconnects, Spatia Cable, Thorens TD206, Ortofon Blue, Dali Opticon 2.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 6:09pm
Hi Terry. Getting a Majestic is a no-brainer, especially since you have the rest of the set! Wink

What Ian didn't mention - probably because he doesn't use it - is the USB input . . .  The little toggle switch on the left of the Maj goes between USB and the S/PDIF inputs.  

I know you'll love the synergy (dreadful word!) of the whole lot working together!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 7:05pm
Bob, you're quite right I forgot it because I rarely use it. I find it difficult to get a clean signal from my laptop when on mains power, a lot of SMPS noise. Interestingly though the USB from my Raspberry Pi is very much quieter although I prefer the sound via SPDIF from the HiFiBerry Digi+.

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 12:05am

It is a great piece of kit because you can give everything the Majestic DAC treatment. My Sky HD box's output goes into it so does my Audiolab 8200CD which sounds more musical through the Majestic in my opinion.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 7:47am
I can also heartily endorse the Majestic.  I've been very happy with mine since purchasing it a few months ago.  By an odd coincidence, I spent a couple of hours last night comparing playback using a laptop / USB against a Pi3 / HiFi Berry Digi + Pro / S/PIDF.  I found that there’s little to choose between the two but as with 'Backinblack' above I prefer the S/PIDF.  The S/PIDF also works right up to 24/192 if that's important to you (I understand that the WM8804 used to present the USB signal to the DAC has an upper limit of 24/48kHz).

If you do find SMPS noise is a problem when using the USB input you could try a 'data only' USB cable.  The USB input is powered internally so does not require the power to be connected from the laptop. You can experiment with this with a cheap USB cable and snip the power cores (usually black and red) as close to the 'A' connector as you can.

James
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic