New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Grado HF-2 vs Sennheiser HD650 or HD700 Headphones
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Grado HF-2 vs Sennheiser HD650 or HD700 Headphones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grado HF-2 vs Sennheiser HD650 or HD700 Headphones
    Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 10:10pm
ConfusedHi,
I've recently became a member and will shortly be testing out some headphone amps that have been kindly loaned to me – the Solo SRG II, the Solo Ultralinear and further down the line the Solo Ultralinear Diamond Edition. These will be tested out with my Grado HF-2 set of 'phones. 
I'd be interested if anyone has matched up the HF2's with any of the above amps and if so, what their findings were?
Additional to the HF2's, there's a guy I work with who is giving me 1st refusal on a couple of Sennheiser 'phones that he is planning to sell - the HD 650 and HD 700. I’ve done some homework on these Sennheiser’s (also with the HD 600) but get conflicting views on which is the better? I listen to most genres, although mainly with rock.
With this in mind, I would appreciate any feedback on these (with one of the Slee amps) where pitted against each other and also against the HF-2. 
Thanks in advance
Terry
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 8:07am
Hi Terry,
I'm not familiar with the HF-2s but I have owned both the Sennheiser HD650 & 700s
& much preferred the 700s. I found the 650s to be 'muddy' sounding with some bass
bloat & thought they also lacked resolution & sounded a little enclosed. 
I found the HD700s to be clearer with much better resolution across the board. A superior
headphone.

This is all with the Solo ULDE.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:33pm
Hi Rich,
Thanks for your reply and subsequent advice. 
So you don't find the 700's harsh at all? That was one of the 'Cons' I've come across with these...
Cheers
Terry 
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:10am
Hi Terry,
I no longer have the 700s as I upgraded to the black HD800S.
I don't recall the 700s as being particularly harsh - their treble was certainly better than the
650s which was a little ragged I thought. The 700s were quite warm sounding but they didn't
have the scale, dynamics & detail of the HD800 - these are much more expensive of course.
The old HD540ref has better treble than all current Sennheisers except the HD800S IMO.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 10:13pm
Hi Rich,
Thanks for your reply. If I remember, the HD540's ll and 'gold' received good press. Some people still rate these highly...
Anyway, I appreciate your thought's.
Cheers,
Terry
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:04pm
HD250 Linear I / Linear II, HD540 Reference II, HD560 Ovation II, HD800 and AKG K1000 are all very capable headphones under the right conditions, in my experience. Provide them with Graham Slee amplification such as Solo Ultra-Linear DE and give care and attention to earpad/foam qualities, headband clamping and driver-to-ear positioning and "burn in" where applicable, in order to get the most out of them.

I would not personally recommend anything with an altered tonality (e.g HD600, HD650 et al) but they may be enjoyable.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 4:18pm
I have a pair of Grado  PS 1000 headphones which I use with the Solo Ultra Linear Diamond edition headphone amp and a Majestic DAC/preamp. IMHO the sound is amazing. I have briefly compared these with the HD 800 and a couple of other headphones from the same company (can't remember the numbers but they are listed above) and have found them unconvincing by comparison.
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic