FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Open Baffle Mark Audio project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Thanks Chris. Helpful to see DEQX earning its way and I like the wood panels.

Who's Chris?
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 8:20pm
 Indeed I should have written Andrew as you clearly realised Ifor.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:50am
Just spent a couple of evenings on this - progress so far:

Frame construction with Alpair 7 baffles at the correct angle for seating position head height. The wooden side runners may prove to be rather flimsy when I try to move the finished speakers - I will have to be careful. Fastening hardware is stainless steel including nylock nuts (at the moment I'm using temporary wing nuts & square nuts until I'm satisfied everything fits).

Baffle mounting screws are held in place by small rubber O-rings so that panels can be fitted from the front. There are also decoupling spacers between baffles & frame (I intend to leave the bottom baffle/driver in place when moving these & maybe the top one as well if it's manageable).

Threaded inserts fitted to baffles for the four 15" drivers can be seen in the image above. The Alpair packaging included front mounted self-cutting bolts which is a neat touch. These will fit flush to the front rebates.

Soundcare SuperSpikes used as mounting feet, fitted to M6 threaded inserts. The feet are internally decoupled which also allows easy tilt adjustment. I have taken the precaution of snugging up several nylon cable ties around the timber at the base as I suspect this may be a weak point. I will trim these later.

Rear uprights with speaker terminals mounted on wooden plates:

Aluminium side braces cut, angled & drilled at the front end only so far. I found that bending these to 45deg weakened the aluminium too much so I'm unable to fold round behind the rear support,  These will have to be bolted through from the sides using threaded inserts angled into the wood. It's probably going to be fiddly so I'll start by assembling these with wood screws and if everything works, drill out & glue threaded inserts in place so hex head bolts can be used.

Edited by Drewan77 - 08 Feb 2017 at 9:55am
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 2:18pm
Impressive!!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:53pm

Very good styling IMO.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 7:55am
Last night I finished off the angled runners for the top baffle, started to align the side braces to the front uprights & locked the bottom baffles into place on each speaker. I also found a solution for bolting to the rear support.

Clamping the angled sections in place, then drilled, glued & screwed:

Initial assembly of the side braces (after 'negotiation' to be able to use the kitchen table, more decorating this weekend I'm afraid Ermm):

Baffle mounting bolts with decoupling spacers. These will also hold the bolts in place whenever I remove a baffle.

It occurred to me that rather than try to bolt the side braces with a gap to the rectangular rear support, I could use my cutting table & strip this back to the correct 35deg angle - a sort of 'bring the mountain to Mohammed' solution (bring the mounting to more-angled….sorry).

Made a small test piece and held it roughly in place so it looks like it will work. It's going to be important that when a baffle is removed, the side braces don't exert pressure on the front uprights to push them apart or inward. All the baffle bolts need to slide easily back into the original holes when reassembled during measurement.

An approximate image of how a final speaker will look (bottom braces resting on a wood offcut). The rear support will be cut down to finish flush with the top side braces. When I triangulate this, the speaker terminals will have to face forward as in the picture. Not a big issue to me.

As the main load bearing braces are double thickness, I next need to remove these and araldite/clamp together before trimming to length/drilling the rear holes. As I only have 2 large clamps and there are eight of these, this may take a few days. In the meantime, I will get 2 more timbers for the rear uprights & trim them to angle & length. I will keep the originals 'just in case'.

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 11:27pm
Great photos Andrew. I could make something along the lines of a mini version of this for a 12P/12PW pairing that'll sit neatly on a desktop.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic