FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Open Baffle Mark Audio project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open Baffle Mark Audio project
    Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 5:34pm
I have spent the past couple of days studying feasibility for the new four-way Open Baffle project I mentioned on the 'Bitzie speakers' thread & decided to go ahead even though I can see a lot of challenges ahead. A Lot.

I already have four Beyma 15LX60V2s for bass duties & taking advantage of Stefans' offer, have ordered a pair of MA 12Ps for mid bass-midrange & MA 7Ps for upper mid-treble. I will also order a pair of Proprius amps to power the 7Ps & have sufficient Spatia speaker cable to wire up & connect.

I purchased a couple of aluminium strips to form part of the rear frames and have test-proved that I can accurately bend and tap these so everything is do-able but it's going to be a long process...

Next will be to draw up the baffle dimensions, rebates and driver cutouts over & contact the bamboo CNC workshop I used previously.

My greatest challenge will be the size and weight of these things - 20mm bamboo is heavy, the Beymas' are absolute monsters & with four large panels each plus rear frames there is no way I will be able to lift these onto 1m high platforms to conduct measurements and calibrations. I will therefore have to build each speaker up on an outdoor platform (dry day Confused with all amps/cabling exposed) using a step ladder and then reassemble in the listening room once measurements are completed.

I am probably crazy doing this but it's been something I just couldn't get out of my head since Stefan joined this forum (damn it). The final straw was a friend in Leeds who already uses MA drivers. His speakers & others I heard at the Cranage Audio show sounded fabulous.

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 7:02pm
Couldn't you like... umm... simplify things a bit?

Maybe listen to the individual drivers first and take note of their strengths?

Second pair of Proprius is a good idea though. Can't have too many of those... LOL I'll think about ordering my second pair in January.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 7:56pm
No Ash, it's about the sense of a real performance which includes sufficient volume of air moving 'fast'. I don't quite get that on the lowest octaves & that's why I'm doing this. 

Over the years, I went from speakers with passive crossovers to two-way active to three-way active, including Open Baffle. Each time as the load on amps & drivers has reduced, cleanness & transient performance has increased significantly. 

For example, if an amp and 12P is asked to handle a relatively narrow range, say 800hz-2000hz then neither will be trying to reproduce multiple other frequencies at the same time & the driver cones will have fewer competing excursions. OK, then other issues at the crossover points will normally come into play - phase, time alignment, beaming etc but the equipment I use corrects that.

It's not simplicity or otherwise that concerns me (although active OBs are relatively simple), what matters to me is 'believability' when playing music, especially at volume.

Edited by Drewan77 - 27 Dec 2016 at 7:58pm
Andrew
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 11:44am
Taking advantage of the holiday period, I have managed to spend time on this...

- Mark Audio drivers delivered from KJF & dimension checked for drawings.
- Drivers, including Beymas burning in at low level for a few weeks using an old AV multi channel amp.*
- Proprius ordered.
- Baffles drawn up & will contact the bamboo CNC workshop next week. Lead time is normally quite long.
- Timber sourced & aluminium strip ordered for rear frames, 
- Various countersunk s/s bolts, nylock nuts, washers & threaded base inserts for spikes ordered.
- 3 pairs of speaker binding posts purchased.
- I already have Spatia cabling.

I can't do anything else until the baffles are manufactured & Proprius are ready. The frames will be constructed together with the baffles.

I will initially build in the configuration shown in the RH illustration above but may move the second bass driver to the top depending on weight/stability & handling (as per Pure AudioProject OBs). The measurement and correction phase will need to be done in the final configuration.

*correction. SWMBO just came back from town & past the dining room door... "turn that dreary noise off"
Andrew
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 12:49pm
Great stuff Andrew. I can see the appeal of the clarity of the OB approach as my Alpair 12P's (previously Ash's) are mounted on open baffles at the moment. Very nice although running at quite low level as almost new. It is weird to hear the reflected sound from the objects behind the speakers!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 1:41pm
Any speaker that beats my AKG K1000 sound is good enough for me. I don't think I'm as fussy as Andrew. I just like transparent, well proportioned and musical sound. It doesn't necessarily have to feel live as a lot of recorded music isn't live. Believability is just a scaled up version of the previously mentioned characteristics.

A pair of 12P drivers on open baffle are good enough for me but they do need bass assistance, for which I'd opt for a helper woofer, probably in a sealed enclosure.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 2:55pm

I've been fascinated by this Grand Orgue design by Visaton for some time but put off by the elliptical "full range" drivers, which although I haven't heard just don't look right(modern). The bass driver arrangement is quite attractive as it gives a compact open baffle arrangement.
They also have a Petit Orgue, similar layout but with only 2 full range and 2 bass drivers per unit. Often thought that it could be a basis for a design using MA drivers.
See: http://www.visaton.de/en/bauvorschlaege/breitband/grandorgue/index.html

aGrandOrgueVorne
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic