FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

RP3 with expensive cartridge or stock RP6?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Hbuus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RP3 with expensive cartridge or stock RP6?
    Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 9:47pm
I'd like to buy a Rega turntable and a GS Reflex or Accession to go with it. Doing some surfing about it on the web, I stumbled upon this comment on another forum:

"P7 was a fantastic turntable for the money. A used or clear-out model would be even better value! But I sell rega and recently heard a $2k Ortofon MC on an RP3 that's really made me stop and rethink where the money should go in a $3k rig. I think the RP3 is (unfortunately for Rega) far more capable than anyone's given it credit for in reviews with $600 cartridges. I realize that the turntable quality is paramount to the final result - I scoffed at this combo myself - but I ate my words! I'm now of the opinion that you get a VTA spacer ( or washers work well) an MC cartridge with vdh, Gyger or similar diamond and then work out how far up from the RP3 you can afford to go."

But would it really make sense to buy a RP3 along with an expensive cartridge?
And would it be overkill with a Reflex or Accession with a RP3?

Thanks!
Sturgus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sturgus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 1:25am
The Reflex-M, or the Accession is not overkill. They just bring out the best of the down stream gear. I am a bit biased but if I had the choice between the 2 tables I would take the 3. I would then sell the stock arm and mount the Audiomods arm in its place. This will give you a better sounding table. Not to mention adjustable VTA, even on the fly. Better anti-skate and greater cartridge compatibility. It would be like having the RP-2000 with VTA, mounted to the RP-3. Nice!!!
Sturgus
Musical Design pre/Dac/Phono Amps Aronov
VPI HW-19 Lustre 801 /Koetsu-Rosewood /GS Elevator/Accension / LP12 Audiomods-Nagoka500 Merlin VSM speakers Dalhquist subs
Pioneer pd-75/ squeezebox
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 5:10pm
I cannot comment on the Rega decks as I have no experIence though assuming the more expensive cartridge matches the arm you certainly should see the benefits. As sturgus says the. Audiomods is a good options to bring out the best in the deck and whatever cartridge you put in it. Whilst I am a high end MC fan don't forget you wil need An elevator or MC version of the Reflex etc. With either GS you will get a lot out of all of the other items. Good luck.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 5:37pm
I had a colleague's OM5E going through my Accession earlier today and second Sturgus' point. The cartridge came free on a 3009 series 2 arm fitted on a TD160 I have serviced and fine tuned for him. He knows a much better cartridge in due course will sound better than the OM5E, which is the limiting factor despite my efforts that have given a very listenable deck.
Another example which involves a Rega. My P3-24 started with an Elys 2 fitted then had various cartridges up to a Music Maker III on it, so I would go for a good cartridge to start with.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 3:17pm
Your choice of Rega turntable could depend on your future upgrade aspirations.
I can imagine the RP3 working well with an expensive MC, but buying an RP6
initially with a cheaper cartridge might be better in the long run if you want to
upgrade by fitting a better cart. later.
As people have said, I don't think the Reflex or Accession would be out of place at all.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Hbuus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 8:40am
Thanks for the feedback Smile

To clarify it's the 2016-model Planar 3 I'm considering, not the RP3.

It comes with a new tonearm and some other changes, I have read, but I'm guessing your advice still stands: That a RP3/Planar 3 can indeed be a good long term choice and can work well with the top GS gear and expensive carts, right?

Does using a more expensive cart require a switch of the tonearm to i.e. Audiomods, or can you use the stock Planar 3-arm? RB330 or whatever it's named.

Anyway, sounds good that a RP3/Planar 3 can be a good long term choice also. But can the 2016 Rega Planar 3 and the RP6 not use the same cartridges?

I mean: If I choose Planar 3, will I limit my choice of future cartridges compared to if I go with a RP6?

Anyway, picking a cartridge is really difficult, I find.
Why are there so many different options! Smile
What if I buy an expensive cart based on forum comments and reviews and then end up not liking it very much!
I guess experimentation is the only way forward, really.

Ack, choices, choices Smile
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 12:41pm
It is a tricky decision when there are so many options!
If I understand Rega's current range correctly & I hope I'm right here -  both the latest Planar 3
& the RP6 use the same arm, the new RB303 with its redesigned arm tube casting.
The RP6 uses a better PSU & has improvements to the plinth design as I understand it.
A better turntable & PSU will improve SQ.

I can't comment on the RB303 but when I changed an RB301 for an Audiomods Classic the improvement was noticeable.
One major change being the ability of the cart to track inner grooves much better, probably mainly due to better bearings. Sturgus' point is good advice.

A reasonably priced MM such as the oft recommended AN IQ1 is capable of excellent SQ & is
upgradeable by replacing the stylus assy.
You're right, if you are able to experiment it's the best way to find a solution.

Edited by RichW - 20 Dec 2016 at 1:44pm
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic