FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Jazz Recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 5:53pm
Jim Hall - Concierto (with Paul Desmond & Chet Baker)
Getz/Gilberto
Dave Brubeck - Time Out

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:07am
Wynton Marsalis Live at Blues Alley.

Relaxing and laid back it isn't.

In your face, definitely.

It's one of those albums that makes you sweat just listening to it.

Timing is everything and its one of those recordings where the speed and dynamics of a good turntable make a huge difference.
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 1:45am
There are so many styles of jazz. Some of my favs are:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Birth of the Cool, Bitches Brew

Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners, Straight, No Chaser, a ton more, but too many to list.

John McLaughlin and The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire

Weather Report - Tales Spinnin’, Mysterious Traveler, I Sing the Body Electric

For modern jazz, mostly out of Europe check out Edition Records at https://editionrecords.com/. You can listen to a lot on the site. I like the bands  Phronesis, Dinosaur and Verneri Pohjola, but I just recently found the label and I’m still exploring.

Enjoy!

Edited by Pwog - 03 Apr 2019 at 2:00am
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 12:51pm
There are a lot of nice music suggested in previous posts. But when you are listening to jazz try also to understand what the musicians are doing. If you like to read, there are a lot of books that explains jazz, and what is going on in the music. For example. Listen specifically to the bass player, What is he (or she) doing? And the drummer. Is there chord changes or are the musicians improvising over the same key all through the tune, like in Miles Davis "So What" from Kind of Blue. The fun thing about jazz is, when you dig into it, and learn about jazz, is that you will hear the music in a new way. You understand when the musicians do something unexpected or provocative and this is a fun challenge to you as a listener. This do not mean there is something wrong with easy melodies and straightforward jazz, I am just saying that jazz is a deep well where there is a lot of things to explore that you may miss if you only stay at the surface. Don´t miss it.  
Music first
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 11:06pm
I must confess I've never read a single book about jazz. What are some of your favorites Humbolt?
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 3:53am
Great question, patientot!
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 9:22am
Hello again!
Here are some examples I like.
A rather nice introduction with listening examples is: "What Jazz Is: An Insider´s Guide to Understanding and Listening to Jazz" by Jonny King. King is a jazz musician himself, so he do not just write about jazz, he also play it himself. https://www.amazon.com/What-Jazz-Insiders-Understanding-Listening/dp/0802775195#customerReviews

Last summer I visited England and Oxford, and bought a book called: How to Listen to Jazz by Ted Gioia. http://tedgioia.com/ Gioia has written several books on jazz, not just this one, but this is the only one I have read. https://www.amazon.com/How-Listen-Jazz-Ted-Gioia/dp/0465093493/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=how+to+listen+to+jazz&qid=1554365555&s=books&sr=1-1

For those who really want to dive into the deep well, there is a lot of books on the history of Jazz. One of these I have read is "A new history of Jazz, by Alyn Shipton. But beware. This book is more than 800 pages. https://www.amazon.com/New-History-Jazz-Revised-Updated/dp/0826429726/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=alyn+shipton&qid=1554365797&s=books&sr=1-1

A book well worth reading is Miles Davis autobiography "Miles" This is a book who tells the story about jazz from the view of one of those who actually had a major influence on the history of jazz. Miles book is full of opinions about other jazz musicians, positive and negative, but he is also merciless about himself. Actually. He was probably not a very nice personality sometimes, but as it seems, he was brutally honest. 

Most of these books are primary or exclusively focusing on American jazz. From the 1960-ies jazz have become "world music", and today many exciting jazz records are not American. To a great degree thanks to the ECM and ACT record companies. I am still searching for a great book focusing on the non American history of Jazz.  

Edited by Humboldt - 04 Apr 2019 at 9:43am
Music first
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic