FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Jazz Recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 3:46pm
Here's another good YT jazz channel, and one of the offerings:

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 8:11am
Thanks morris_minor. I shall work my way through that one too.

After extensive sampling of Jimmy Smith's back-catalogue via AllMusic.com it's safe to say his big band albums during the '60s are definitely my favourite (foot-tapping, smile inducing goodness), although I understand that these are less "jazz" than his others. In light of this revelation, can anyone recommend any other big band artists for me to sample next please?

Thanks,

Tim
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 8:49am
You're welcome Tim . . 

I love Jimmy Smith's "The Cat". Are you of an age to remember the BBC TV "Money Programme"? One of the tracks (The Carpetbaggers, I think) was used as the theme . . . 

For a "laid back" big band you can't beat this:

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 4:17pm
Two more big bands come to mind:

Quincy Jones, and John Dankworth

QJ's The Birth Of A Band is great album - the first one I played when I installed Graham's Era Gold V into my system many moons ago, prompting a mile-wide smile that stayed for weeks Wink.

Here's Bobby Timmons' "Moanin'" (most likely heard on Art Blakey's album of the same name) from that QJ album:

and a version by the John Dankworth band:

And as a piece of shameless self-promotion ( LOL ) here's a video of mine from 2013 of Tickle Toe from Birth of A Band, playing through that same EGV:

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 1:49am
moris_minor: Thanks for the recommendations. I'll watch the YouTube clips later. Sadly I wasn't around in time for that program but you are right about the theme tune.

I've discovered a few sites to purchase lossless music so bought a few Jimmy Smith albums. As jazz styles constantly evolve, I'm mainly focussing on his discography first (while still looking into others) which is actually proving quite educational in understanding my (instrumental) jazz tastes.

If I've got this right "hard bop" and "soul jazz" are the main sub-genres I have discovered that I enjoy (so far), which I believe lived around the 50s-60s. I forgot to mention "funky jazz" at the outset because I wasn't particularly looking for that this time but as the artists evolved into this style towards the 70s(?), its probably worth listing as well.

As for big band I love the planned, rhythmic style of it, and something about the trumpet sections just grabs me. While I also enjoy the sax, I find it works better as the lead in a small band setting; it doesn't feel right leading the whole song with a big band (including trumpets)... I welcome countering examples though. While I don't mind it, big band swing is also ok but in small doses. It is too lively (and generally vocal) for me at the moment; swing isn't what I would call background/chilled out music whereas the other stuff is (generalising).

I do like early swing stuff though (Glenn Miller, etc); pretty much everything from the 20s onwards is just fun. It's just a shame the surviving quality is generally poor!
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 2:25am

If you appreciate 'hard bop', you should definitely listen to Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers. Try 'Moanin' first, it's a classic.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Godra Godra wrote:

If you appreciate 'hard bop', you should definitely listen to Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers. Try 'Moanin' first, it's a classic.
Thumbs Up

Also "Blue Train" by John Coltrane . . .

And "One Flight Up" by Dexter Gordon, too. (Not quite so much hard bop, but 'modal' jazz in the "Kind Of Blue" mould; "Tanya" is one of my favourite jazz tracks).
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic